• frog2.JPG
    frog2.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 114

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Aww. lol -- I'm not sure if there is any danger in keeping these frogs around, but I would imagine that a huge advantage would be that it eats the insects.

There were a TON of little frogs (or toads, perhaps? They didn't start as tadpoles...which one is that? lol) that seemed to have materialized all over our yard -- you couldn't take one step without seeing tons of frogs jump to safety.

tatorger

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
both frogs and toads start as tadpoles.... dry and bumpy or smooth and slimy?

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Really? Dang...well, I withdraw my previous statement. lol -- serves me right for trusting my girlfriend ;-p

Dry and bumpy -- I'm assuming that's a toad, right? :)

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nope gray tree frog this is the second year i see these baby frogs around this area there is a huge wisteria i believe in front of my house where i keep my tree i believe these frogs lay their eggs on these leaves and they are born there i could be wrong tho but this tree seems like a huge nursing ground for tree frogs ive only seen these frogs as adults once on my house the tree frogs i usually see are the green tree frogs which seem to be way more common speaking of toads i see lots of em but they dont get on the trees good for bugs and mosquitos so i leave them alone also baby skinks

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree frogs are frogs. They begin as tadpoles swimming around in a body of water. Their eggs aren't laid on plants, but in water. If you have standing water--even in relatively small areas (in gutters, tree stumps, fountains, drainage ditch, etc) tree frogs and other frogs will lay eggs in it and their tadpoles will use it as a nursery.

Your wisteria probably offers shelter for these critters from predators. It's probalby not where the frogs are born and develop though.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
A dry frog is a dead frog. They (and toads) breathe partly thru their skin, which must stay moist.

Amphibians like frogs and toads are especially susceptible to environmental degradation. So if you've got a bunch of them sticking around, it means your local ecosystem is at least fairly healthy.

And they eat bugs, yes. :)

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
tree frogs do lay their eggs on leafs they lay them on leafs above a ;ool of water

daveskib

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Treefrog tadpoles develop quickly often in temporary pools and puddles. I had spring peeper tadpoles and they transformed to frogs in two weeks.

Top Bottom