A little Zelkova grafting

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, this Zelkova was chopped a couple years ago, some new shoots emerged, but not all around the top, unfortunately. It did create a callous under the bark, so the trunk isn’t dying back.

The first thing I did was to guy wire some of the branches to better positions. The reason I guy wired and not traditional spiral wiring was the tree is at Boon’s, and I only visit here every few months, so I can’t closely monitor the tree for wire scarring. So, guy wires are less likely to scar.

Then, I found a branch that was long enough, and flexible enough to pull down to where I could position some of its branchlets into position.

D562EADA-FB9C-4C55-A31D-5D7109EC48F7.jpeg

I made a V cut in the callous tissue with a grafting knife.

E6AB5CE6-112F-4019-B9CE-59FEFDB7419D.jpeg

Then positioned The branchlets in place, and lightly scraped away the bark from the twigs. I also cut little pieces of Zelkova to place over the branchlets, so that they forced the branchlets deep Into the V cuts I made. I hammered grafting nails on either side of the branchlets.

HF4A6C693-3729-45E2-A9F8-28F6A6E2F891.jpeg

I then covered the whole mess with putty to keep the water out.

BF361C35-2F4F-4E34-828B-F768579EA8B0.jpeg

The final step was to cut back on all the long whips.

04B8B43C-60AC-42BF-8344-458E4D6B0B8B.jpeg

Now, we wait...

Attachments

• 69D69D5F-18A1-4C86-B062-2C9C92A369DC.jpeg
    69D69D5F-18A1-4C86-B062-2C9C92A369DC.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 9

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thread grafting...was not anticipating such a concept of one branch servicing many branches. Like a raft version. Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to look into a yamadori which will need all branches grafted since the tree with Will didn't fall into place. Extremely raw material. All branching will need thread grafted. It's something I've not done to be honest. But the concept seems possible in my minds eye. Our internet is out...I'm in a spot where I have one bar floating in and out..I was surprised the photo of your work even loaded. But, Again...I've come to expect the above par work when you share something. Thanks for the post.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty great idea using multiple branches off a single
That wasn’t “planned”! But when I looking for branches I could pull down and around, that branch just happened to have 4 small branches that just happened to line up exactly where I wanted place grafts! Sometimes you get lucky, I suppose.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really cool technique, thx for sharing/explanation Adair.
Where does one purchase these “grafting nails” - appear to have plastic around heads to help flatten graft material?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really cool technique, thx for sharing/explanation Adair.
Where does one purchase these “grafting nails” - appear to have plastic around heads to help flatten graft material?
They’re from Japan.

Jonas has them, www.bonsaitonight.com.

By the way, those that have read my posts here know that I rarely suggest any books on bonsai. Well, Jonas has just published an amazing book for people new to the hobby! It’s “the little book of bonsai”, and he writes in the intro that it’s the book he wished he had when he first started in bonsai. And I’ve read it, and I concur! It’s only about $15, the pictures are great, and Jonas writes better than anyone else in bonsai. Highly recommended!

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They’re from Japan.

Jonas has them, www.bonsaitonight.com.

By the way, those that have read my posts here know that I rarely suggest any books on bonsai. Well, Jonas has just published an amazing book for people new to the hobby! It’s “the little book of bonsai”, and he writes in the intro that it’s the book he wished he had when he first started in bonsai. And I’ve read it, and I concur! It’s only about $15, the pictures are great, and Jonas writes better than anyone else in bonsai. Highly recommended!
Will check it out, still re-reading Principles of bonsai design which is quite in depth. Thanks for the suggestion.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome improvement to this tree Adair. I've pondered what to do with it a couple times, but never came up with this idea. Well-spotted. Whose idea was it?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thats going to be a great broom in some years @Adair M do you know the story of the lower trunk?
Ground grown and chopped?
Are any of the existing branches grafts? I just did an intensive with Jonas and we did grafting so Im dying to try a formal broom using an older zelkova base with branching just from grafts like in the old article (Ebihara I believe)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome improvement to this tree Adair. I've pondered what to do with it a couple times, but never came up with this idea. Well-spotted. Whose idea was it?
Mine.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thats going to be a great broom in some years @Adair M do you know the story of the lower trunk?
Ground grown and chopped?
Are any of the existing branches grafts? I just did an intensive with Jonas and we did grafting so Im dying to try a formal broom using an older zelkova base with branching just from grafts like in the old article (Ebihara I believe)
This has been a bonsai for a long time. Boon has it when I first started with him in 2012. It had been created by a chop, but it had bad swelling at the chop. I mean, it wasn’t awful, but it was not great.

So, when Paul Kellum was Boon’s apprentice, he chopped it again. He stuck it in the greenhouse, and left it. Unfortunately, it only sprouted shoots on one side. Paul terminated his apprenticeship, and the tree has had nothing done to it until now. So, let’s see what happens!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Was that so stressful that you emptied your prescription and left the bottle in the box?;) Pretty cool.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Was that so stressful that you emptied your prescription and left the bottle in the box?;) Pretty cool.
Lol!!! I had to get the little nails out of Boon’s travel bag. He keeps stuff like that in medicine bottles.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here’s an update:

44F5C695-FFB5-4FEC-8805-CA9202E30B59.jpeg

Boon sent me this picture. It’s too early to say the grafts have taken, but they’re still alive! And they look like they’re growing!

The next time I go to Boon’s (who knows when that will be?), I’ll carve out the middle of the center of the chop. This will give space for the callous to swell and bulge. I’ll wrap raffia around the outside to prevent it from swelling out, so the swelling will go in, where I will have carved it out. Well, that’s the plan, anyway! Lol!!!

Top Bottom