A lonely Ume flower......

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So out of of my seven Ume my Kanko-Bai decided to bloom early, and it's all alone out there in the cold. Who else has their Ume blooming now, post some pics if you got any.
I initially thought my ume was acting weird...i guess not...

Attachments

• 20201218_210034.jpg
    20201218_210034.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 33

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not an ume, but here's my toyo nishiki quince about 2 weeks ago pushing new buds. We recently got a big dump of snow and lately its been at or below 0C so maybe that'll convince the shrub that it's winter

1608354350984.png

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You let the cuttings flower? What cultivar is this one?
LOL! some do not read the memo and for others the odd one opens up before I remove it. The two in the pictures are Kobai. Here is the normal appearance of the cultivar.

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpeg
    IMG_1047.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
LOL! some do not read the memo and for others the odd one opens up before I remove it. The two in the pictures are Kobai. Here is the normal appearance of the cultivar.
I have some flower buds on my Kobai, but it looks like it will be a couple more weeks before it blooms.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The flower buds on my Ume outside have not started to swell yet, warm fall extending, very little frost so far in this neck of the woods.
Yeah this winter has been really really warm here as well. Just another thing to add to this crazy year.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Heres the close up of two different shade of pink flowers from two different ume. They are really pushing out in this warm winter here up north.
Nice, which cultivar?

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
This snapshot gives a good representation of the " Matsubara Red Cultivar" flower.View attachment 345425

This doesn't look like a 'matsubara red' to me, unless some of the petals fell off prior to the picture? The flowers in your picture (especially the upper one) appear to have a single-layer of petals. Matsubara red has a double-layer of petals. Here are some pics from of matsubara red that I took from the internet:

Attachments

• 20325_original.jpg
    20325_original.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 9
  • 86746722_2636955949868818_1287451154606718976_o.jpg
    86746722_2636955949868818_1287451154606718976_o.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 86897410631d5b8498d2f4c12854c204.jpg
    86897410631d5b8498d2f4c12854c204.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PRMU540image_42.jpg
    PRMU540image_42.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail.php.jpeg
    thumbnail.php.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 11

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This doesn't look like a 'matsubara red' to me, unless some of the petals fell off prior to the picture? The flowers in your picture (especially the upper one) appear to have a single-layer of petals. Matsubara red has a double-layer of petals. Here are some pics from of matsubara red that I took from the internet:
Entirely possible! Given that the lower flower has more of a double row as you suggest. I often notice that juvenile plants have variation in flower and leaf form. The picture is a group of flowers from a two year old cutting. Variation can also be due to geographical relocation.
Also you may be interested in this bit of information regarding Ume as I believe you are setting out to propagate them in a different area!
I enclose a quote from a USA grower.

"Another issue that I have seen - only with this cultivar specifically, and only in this area - is the production of small, twinkly flowers instead of the large, broad petaled ones for which it is known. After looking at these underdeveloped blooms for years on mine, wondering if stocks being sold here were not true to name a local vendor revealed that the first time 'Matsubara Red' blooms after having arrived from California, it produces the true to type flowers - and then changes to the dinky ones from then on.
The next flowering time after this was intimated I went back to the same outlet and looked at their current, recently arrived and potted allotment - sure enough, here were the correct flowers. So apparently when this cultivar sets bud in our area abnormal flowers follow, for some reason."

Thus you may wish to save judgement until you have experience with this particular cultivar in your specific area for a couple of years. There can be climatic variances even though the cultivar is genetically pure! I love the color and look forward to the ongoing revealing pattern as the stock continues to adapt to my location.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Entirely possible! Given that the lower flower has more of a double row as you suggest. I often notice that juvenile plants have variation in flower and leaf form. The picture is a group of flowers from a two year old cutting. Variation can also be due to geographical relocation.
Also you may be interested in this bit of information regarding Ume as I believe you are setting out to propagate them in a different area!
I enclose a quote from a USA grower.

"Another issue that I have seen - only with this cultivar specifically, and only in this area - is the production of small, twinkly flowers instead of the large, broad petaled ones for which it is known. After looking at these underdeveloped blooms for years on mine, wondering if stocks being sold here were not true to name a local vendor revealed that the first time 'Matsubara Red' blooms after having arrived from California, it produces the true to type flowers - and then changes to the dinky ones from then on.
The next flowering time after this was intimated I went back to the same outlet and looked at their current, recently arrived and potted allotment - sure enough, here were the correct flowers. So apparently when this cultivar sets bud in our area abnormal flowers follow, for some reason."

Thus you may wish to save judgement until you have experience with this particular cultivar in your specific area for a couple of years. There can be climatic variances even though the cultivar is genetically pure! I love the color and look forward to the ongoing revealing pattern as the stock continues to adapt to my location.
Not to go against what you wrote, but a double flower is genetically a double flower same as a single flower is genetically a single flower it's in the plants genetic code.There's a lot of variables that can affect how a plant grows due to the enviroment and location. But regardless if the plant is throwing dinky flowers those flowers should still be doubles........unless the plant has mutated and is genetically different from the mother plant.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I got mine last year from a little further south of me. Didn’t flower last year and don’t see any flower buds this year. Hoping it’s just acclimating and not a slow death.

Top Bottom