A long awaited special treat...

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
cool! To see an azalea flower is worth the wait!
Are leaves getting big? Did you over fertilize last year?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
cool! To see an azalea flower is worth the wait!
Are leaves getting big? Did you over fertilize last year?
I may have fertilized to much...or, the need of that indoor light for the greenhouse. Will be cutting this way back after bloom. So I'm not overly concerned. Everything will go most likely.

I put a bunch of BioGold in the pot this spring.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bloom and the commissioned Erin pottery pot. It matches to perfectly...lighting today I could not get the right angle to show it. That said...look below.

image.jpg image.jpg

Then the Sonny Bogg's pot I picked up. (I might add...friends who do not do bonsai...liked this photo the most on my Facebook wall.) I think they are on to something.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Side by side...pots for selection is up closer to see. Making them appear much larger. But, not really...optical illusion.
image.jpg

Reaction score
It's funny how relative things can get. We have azaleas all over here. Bordering roads mixed with hydrangeas, parks, everywhere really. They do not need winter protection over here and are easy to grow. They are beautiful, but being so common kind of takes back any enjoyment of growing them as bonsai :) I just got rid of one I had growing on a pot for some time now to make space for more trees. Completely neglected and it bloomed every year... :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just a point to clarify. These are hybrid trees and leaf size varies among different hybrids. So, fertilizer may be a factor, but not likely the reason why leaves on 2 different trees are not identical in size.
The ones with the smaller leaves are from Northern Japan and tend to be more cold hardy. The ones from Southern Japan have larger leaves, and are more sensitive to the cold.

That said, Don is correct, they've been hybridized many times, so it's hard to tell which is which.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
did you only get 1 flower?
Oh no...it's putting on quite a show. Weather has been nasty. Strong winds and rain. They are in the greenhouse. No Internet at home still. Will grab a photo between the rain...and will post when either back in town or the Internet works again.

Top Bottom