A long awaited special treat...

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth, I think the tree looks greatly improved without that branch. Really nice!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For what it's worth, I think the tree looks greatly improved without that branch. Really nice!
Thanks...appreciate the input. I think I needed a day to erase the vision of Plan A. To see it still a good direction. Yes,a more feminine feel towards it. Girl needs new shoes, because current one is not for the same party. Two years for the next repot...going to shoot for 4 options minimum.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks...appreciate the input. I think I needed a day to erase the vision of Plan A. To see it still a good direction. Yes,a more feminine feel towards it. Girl needs new shoes, because current one is not for the same party. Two years for the next repot...going to shoot for 4 options minimum.

I think it's always hard when you have a particular vision in mind for a tree to have that vision disrupted by ideas from others. But, it's always good to have an open mind and ask others - well others with a good eye - look at your tree. Others that haven't spent hours/days/years looking at your tree give you a quick gut check can be helpful as they may see things that you might not (the brain does funny things almost giving tunnel vision). I speak from personal experience - it's hard but nice that you are open to suggestions!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it's always hard when you have a particular vision in mind for a tree to have that vision disrupted by ideas from others. But, it's always good to have an open mind and ask others - well others with a good eye - look at your tree. Others that haven't spent hours/days/years looking at your tree give you a quick gut check can be helpful as they may see things that you might not (the brain does funny things almost giving tunnel vision). I speak from personal experience - it's hard but nice that you are open to suggestions!
True...having slight OCD change is sometimes difficult. This hobby has helped me overcome a lot. I used to freak...remove wire...rewire what if I bend it differently! Now I look at it as I have grown so new wire and design will show it. Scott Lee and Matt Smith offered good sound direction for plan A...and Plan B. Azaleas you tend to grow for blooms so Plan A was that route. More of a show. Adair has been amazing with direction and guidance. Truely blessed with my circle of bonsai friends.

Until potting it up...it had but sat on the bench me admiring more its neagari. Than style...but I shot men who sell a good number of just these. Neagari satsuki for direction.
But your right if not for contacts who knows what direction the tree would have taken.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Leaving them on to long can hinder next year's blooms. And though they look lush...many are starting to fall off. So time to do it. You shouldn't allow them to fall off...but prune when they begin. What Scott Lee told me. I purchased the tree from him. ? My husband is still having a hard time with my doing it.

Fresh air...cooler night temps...but not dangerously so. Had me pulling it out to trim back...which my husband struggles with anything pruned. Lol his face when he seen a pile of cuttings I removed. (Headed to the compost)
View attachment 191007

Before the haircut...
View attachment 191005

And after...much needed. I may still go in and thin it some more.
View attachment 191008
Thank your taking the time to explain that for me! I can see why your husband is having a hard time with it, they're beautiful flowers.

Well for what it's worth, even though some people don't think it goes well with the pot I love it and I think your reasoning is great!

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Googling "Fibonacci" will get you a lot of interesting info. But Fibonacci was a person, for bonsai I think looking up the "golden ratio" will be a little more relevant. It is based on the Fibonacci sequence but it is a little more specific, and it will come with images that help explain it easier.
I love your tree by the way. It's beautiful
So just by chance this video just came out. It is a math video on the golden ratio and they use a flower to explain it. If anyone is interested it is long though 15 mins

Golden Ratio

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking at my petite neagari...I can not believe I had a moment defoliating finding it tedious after hearing how long it took Judy what it did to remove just flowers. More or less what I had defoliating. My hand shows size perspective of a tree I will no longer complain defoliating. I do love this little tree. Even Plan B is growing on me. Pot size 3 1/4 x 6 1/2.
P_20180509_205312_HDR.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Most likely if weather cools back to near ''normal'' those buds will wait until spring.

I have had a couple stray flowers on several of my Satsuki. Mostly on specimens I picked up this year, that had not spent a full year yet in my conditions.
Well, this bloomed heavily and has been on my bench what...two years? So figured it's the weird weather. It's warm this week before dropping back to norm...would like to see the blooms hold out for next year honestly. But it is what it is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Usually I don’t like exposed roots but I reeeeally like this tree. I was reading through the thread and when I saw that broken branch, I cringed, it was almost as if it was happening to me. lol still looks great though and it’ll look even better when it blooms!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Usually I don’t like exposed roots but I reeeeally like this tree. I was reading through the thread and when I saw that broken branch, I cringed, it was almost as if it was happening to me. lol still looks great though and it’ll look even better when it blooms!
Ahhh thanks. ☺️...to be honest...that missing branches placement always bugged me. So I have to agree plan B has grown on me. Still chewing if I will grow out a cascade branch on that side and develop it. Could be even better because allowing for a better placement location. Still chewing over that direction .

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Commissioned pot for the tree by Victor Harris of Erin Pottery. It's either loved...or hated. The color is a shade found in the bloom. But thanks! Another in favor of it. ?
For me, it's the texture. The gnarly texture on the pot seems to fit really well with the crazy tangle of roots that satsukis can get.

Top Bottom