A Maple for Ray and Eric

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As you can see guys, this one wouldn't have been worth your time and trouble anyway....

Lots of root work down the road, couldn't reduce the long ones back yet, although the pad came out nice and flat....
But the top reduction went well...

The odd looking thing between the two trunks is a spreader block, has anyone had good luck doing it this way? If so, how long before it sets? I'll also try to get a bit of movement in the center trunk around where the other two curve off.
:)

Attachments

• IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As you can see guys, this one wouldn't have been worth your time and trouble anyway....

The odd looking thing between the two trunks is a spreader block, has anyone had good luck doing it this way? If so, how long before it sets? I'll also try to get a bit of movement in the center trunk around where the other two curve off.
:)

I laughed when I saw the spreader block because I have the same thing going on with a large twin trunk sequoia (except my "spreader block" is a broken piece of pottery). I plan on leaving it in for several seasons.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Bahh! Beauty of a tree there Judy.
That base really has a nice start to it. Even if there is more work to be done it will only continue to look nicer and nicer as you go along :D
I have a spreader block currently in a maple clump that I got this year. I have similar questions as to the success it will produce but we shall see.
Have you considered cutting back the top left branch(the left side of that fork) to the first set of buds? I think this would immediately establish a nice shape and a nice start to some future foliage pads. Just a thought.

Very nice tree Judy, the fiance thanks you for purchasing it before I did!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
too funny... I haven't seen any photos of your maple clump, what is up with that?!!!

Tell her that I said she is welcome, and to come get that pot before I use it!

Can you try to describe that junction on the left trunk again, I am ambivalent about that trunk, there is too much weight too high.... so if you have an idea, I just need to "see" it better...

@barry - my spreader is a chopped off branch wrapped in soaker hose. I use soaker hose all the time for cushion... And where oh where is the picture of your sequoia??? I would love to see that too!

I just wonder if the blocks work since you're not really causing any bend for the tree to "mend" and thus set....

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the block will work... its very much like gentle wiring.. takes more time but as wood is added the tree will take position... you take actually make one from a turnbuckle or buy one already made... they are a little prettier if you care :p

glad you got this.... blew my current budget already for awhile (have to actually work on trees) .... this should be a real nice lookin tree in a just few years (it already is but you know what I mean)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Think I'll stay au-naturel with the wood piece...

I'm glad too, been looking for a 3 trunk for a while, this one sorta jumped on me.

I wonder what type it'll turn out to be, Diane just said Palmatum, so I may have to come back once the leaves come out for identification help.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Think I'll stay au-naturel with the wood piece...

I'm glad too, been looking for a 3 trunk for a while, this one sorta jumped on me.

I wonder what type it'll turn out to be, Diane just said Palmatum, so I may have to come back once the leaves come out for identification help.

chances are its just pure palmatum which actually would be very nice... i think here in the states we focus too much on the cultivars

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree, I like the straight up ones, and they seem to take abuse in stride. But the twigs on this one read more red than my plain palmatum, so it may be something different. Apparently they did not grow this one, but said the grower did it from seed.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My understanding is that Acer Palmatum as a species has a tremendous amount of genetic variation, and the cultivars are just developed from selective breeding that takes advantage of that variation. I think it's pretty common for one "regular" green leafed Acer Palmatum to produce seedlings that have different shaped/colored leaves. I don't think that makes it necessarily a cultivar. Just unique :) It'll be neat to see what kind of leaves it has.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
chances are its just pure palmatum which actually would be very nice... i think here in the states we focus too much on the cultivars

I agree. Some of the best maple bonsai out there are just straight up palmatums. IMO some cultivars are just too "showy" for bonsai. Even shishigashira is borderline for me.

Very nice clump Judy! Like you said, it still needs work but it's a very nice start specially with the nebari. I'd love to get myself a clump as well someday :rolleyes:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My understanding is that Acer Palmatum as a species has a tremendous amount of genetic variation, and the cultivars are just developed from selective breeding that takes advantage of that variation. I think it's pretty common for one "regular" green leafed Acer Palmatum to produce seedlings that have different shaped/colored leaves. I don't think that makes it necessarily a cultivar. Just unique :) It'll be neat to see what kind of leaves it has.

yes it would just be "unique" .... cultivars are only named if propagated through appropriate technique ... ie one that clones the plant.... all specimens of a cultivar are genetically identical etc (i am sure some very minor natural mutation happens over time) ....

Acer P does have what i refer to as "unstable genes" in that it will produce many different combinations ... interestingly enough it seems that only the traditional "mountain maple" was prized in most japanese gardens and propagating cultivars was a western thing...

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
IMG_1905.jpg

Here is what I was talking about Judy.
I really like the sublty of this tree, and if you can imagine the new growth at this cut spreading out to the left it would be very nice.
Is it leafing out yet?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes Ray, I see it now, I agree. I was looking at the left trunk, instead of the left fork center trunk. I'll take a look, but it looks to be a good idea.
Not yet, can't wait to see them.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes Ray, I see it now, I agree. I was looking at the left trunk, instead of the left fork center trunk. I'll take a look, but it looks to be a good idea.
Not yet, can't wait to see them.
Yeah sorry, my first post was probably quite confusing :D
The new leaves should look great on this. I really like the subtlness of this tree, very peaceful maple.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So you were right Ray, I think you and Eric and I should design this one by committee. I was able to put a slight curve in the straight part of the center trunk, moved the long branch up a bit, and cut the left apex branch back. I think it's subtle, ( the bend) but reads better to me. The branch you suggested to cut, is far better for the overall picture now.

I did notice that when I took the wedge out to get the wire wrapped, that it was already holding the new position away from the other trunk a bit, so it may not take as long to set as I thought!
What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 155

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
YES! Very nice work Judy. This reads much better. It will be well on it's way now, can't wait to see it leafing out!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Popped those leaves! And sprouting like a weed!

Attachments

• IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 185

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice clump,and yes that first branch on the left trunk would make a nice new leader,making that trunk the shortest of the three.I have yet to try a clump palmatum,this tree is giving me the itch to give it a go.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you Mike, That is a good suggestion for the left trunk, I'll take a look.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The left trunk looks the thickest - ergo shouldn't it be the tallest ?

Top Bottom