A Maple for Ray and Eric

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did the first round of chopping on this tree this spring, and the middle trunk has helped me out by popping a new shoot at a pretty nice placement and angle. On the way to being better, but it will be quite some time.

Attachments

• IMG_3437.jpg
    IMG_3437.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3438.jpg
    IMG_3438.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 123

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I like where you're going with this one Judy. I love multi trunked JMs for some reason ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Chris, of course, I am just following a great idea that was laid out in the thread for me!
Nice to get helpful advice isn't it?

I too have a soft spot for multi trunks, here is a photo of one that Don B. posted here, it's soooo good.

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0208.jpg
    DSC_0208.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 117

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like where you're going with this one Judy. I love multi trunked JMs for some reason ;)

Yes I agree. Multi trunk designs are very natural to deciduous trees and maples in particular.

Thanks Chris, of course, I am just following a great idea that was laid out in the thread for me!

I too have a soft spot for multi trunks, here is a photo of one that Don B. posted here, it's soooo good.

Beautiful example from Don! I also like where you're going with this judy. A bit of a long term project but worth the trip! Nice!

fore

Omono
Reaction score

What? Help here on the forum? ;)

Impressive tree Judy. I also love it! I started a JM raft and several twin trunked JMs that are 3y/o. Some in pots and some in ground just to see the difference and have some nice green color on the bench lol A very long term project that right now is just 'for fun'. I need to get a nicer one at some point. You and Mach5 have some inspirational maples for sure! ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is an update for this tree, I got a good amount of new growth this year after the cutback this spring. Did some wiring, will do more once I can take off all the sacrifices, and healer branches. The large scar did a good job of getting a start to being well healed with that big branch helping it out. Still trying to get the trunks apart a bit more, will continue that.
Working toward M5's virt...

Attachments

• IMG_3588.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3591.jpg
    IMG_3591.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 116

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking good Judy. The clump looks very healthy with some vigorous growth on it! Little by little it's starting to shape up nicely. I definitely would not think about planting it on anything shallow until my design was well under way.

Well done and thanks for the update!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well I think I have a basic framework of shape now on the outer two trunks. Just have to give the center trunk some time to grow and catch up. I have a question for you, would you try to reduce the large scar (I call it the sphincter for obvious reasons...) and start that healing over again? I'm torn. It's healed so nicely, but is so, well - you know. Last photo is probably the right angle.
P1000227.jpgP1000228.jpgP1000229.jpgP1000230.jpgP1000231.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes, I would continue to reduce the scar. I'd start on the top side and make a cut to get the top side of the trunk in line (blue line).

Kathy is big on keeping clauses moving but scraping the rings of bark that form outside the original cut, and on the healing edge of the cambium. She has us use the back of a knife. I tried to show where in blue circles....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 85

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Brian that was my thought as well. This is an original scar, the cuts I've made I've kept reduced and they've turned out a lot flatter.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brought this one back in to clean up the "sphincter" and decided to just start all the old wounds over. I also decided that the angle and the thickness of the lower right branch was just wrong. So off it came. Far better of a start over. I may chop the middle trunk yet again, if I can get a lower bud to pop, to get better movement on that one lower. What do you think?P1000282.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Me like! Juds my only comment would be to make sure there is a relationship between the two tallest trunks. In the end have one be clearly the tallest and most dominant in the group but also make sure that they all "dance" in unison. What I mean by this is that at the moment the two trunks face away from each other and no dialogue between them.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think one of them has bad breath. Maybe the top branch at the back of the left trunk could be reduced in importance, or lost all together. Then the left trunk would be moving back to the right. I would assume that most of these issues will be lessened once I get more branching going on, but good to think about while I'm deciding what to keep. Also hopefully the center trunk can help make it more cohesive Which trunk do you read as the dominant one currently? To me it would be the right one, just based on thickness. I think I may go cut that branch off the top of the left trunk now...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think one of them has bad breath. Maybe the top branch at the back of the left trunk could be reduced in importance, or lost all together. Then the left trunk would be moving back to the right. I would assume that most of these issues will be lessened once I get more branching going on, but good to think about while I'm deciding what to keep. Also hopefully the center trunk can help make it more cohesive Which trunk do you read as the dominant one currently? To me it would be the right one, just based on thickness. I think I may go cut that branch off the top of the left trunk now...

Yes the right trunk would be the natural choice for me as well. Cutting or reducing that back branch can help. My comment was based more as you move forward and not necessarily meant to be executed at this point in time. Just something to be mindful of as your composition develops. I look forward to seeing this one grow up!
;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As always I appreciate yours and others input, a second eye can be such an amazing lens to see through. I am beginning to think in the long term these days, always mindful of the next season, instead of the upcoming one. It's a mindset shift that takes a while to learn. Thanks!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it would look even better if you removed that back branch from the left trunk all together! It is an improvement to shorten it, and would look even better if it was gone.

Jmo

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it might as well, but I'm going to wait until I get some other branching built to remove it, if I do. I would keep it for sure if it wasn't so heavy, but hoping to get a collar bud and then take it off to start something of the same feel but a more respectful size.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would keep it. I'd leave myself some options for now. I would also may find a way to keep this branch in the final design as a quirky second trunk of sorts just to keep the whole thing form looking too predictable.

Certainly like Eric said it is also not a bad idea to remove but...

Top Bottom