A moment of silence

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
misc 001.JPG

Well this was my last Fukien Tea tree here. I had four of them over the 6 yrs I've been into bonsai, this was the last hold out. It did well overwintering inside last year and the previous year, but this year it just started going downhill about 6 weeks ago and I just could not save it. While I really love the look of FT's I think I am done with this species. Just way too touchy of a species for this area.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry to hear that...yes,for the most part I too gave up tropical. Bougainvillea are very hardy though if you didn't know already. When tropical room got to 42F with a faulty regulator on our propane tank...and it freezing during an artic spell...I lost all my tropical other than my bougainvillea.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah my bougies and ficus's are doing well inside as they seem to do every year. These FT's though just are a pain. They seem to overwinter well the first year or two but then after a while they just seem to run out of energy. Can't say I didn't expect it though I knew it was coming.

Sorry to hear you lost all your trops Darlene.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These FT's though just are a pain.

Honest looks like a fungal "rust" problem... Here indoors a few treatment of Daconil and they send new bud. That applies to a few tropical and sub tropical here if they are not allowed to dry a bit(not fully) between watering indoors. Funny thing is they get 3 times the water when outside in the shade and no problems...

Grimmy

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one is past any new bud stage sadly. It was dry/dead all the way through the branches and all the way down inside the whole trunk. Which is weird because I kept up with watering the same as I always do every winter which is usually 2-3 times per week on the FT. Drying out a tad between but yet not too dry, 18-19 hrs with lights on it. Same way I have lost my other FT's it seems :(

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think they are a touchy species for any area. I have a little one now, that's doing OK. But that could change at any moment. I've killed one too. If this one kicks it, no more for me. Sorry about yours.

Top Bottom