A Murmuration of Starlings (and other reasons why it's better to be outside)

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
[video=vimeo;31158841]http://vimeo.com/31158841[/video]

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As interesting and beautiful as those starlings are, if you're in an area where a flock that large roosts, I can assure it isn't as beautiful when it's crapping on your car/house/family members. Having put up with a large flock of this invasive, prolific, non-native bird here in North America, I can say its beauty is fleeting.;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Agreed, they kick everything else out and eat their young. But they sure are amazing the way they wheel as one. We have them on the fields after harvest but over the water it is breathtaking.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This video takes my breath away. Makes me feel like when I am out on a mountain at dawn. Within 20 miles there are over 1 million humans sleeping. But I am alone on the mountain...

Reaction score
reminds me of a swarm of locust... I feel as though perhaps I should go outside and check my plants !!! :)

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
nature is awesome-reminds me of a giant shoal of baitfish:rolleyes: isn't murmuration a really weird word???

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I prefer a "murder" of crows. I wonder how THAT came to be...Starlings murmur, crows murder...very Hitchcockian.

"nature is awesome-reminds me of a giant shoal of baitfish"

Basically, it's the same thing. One reason they do this is to confuse predators like hawks...

Last edited:

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As interesting and beautiful as those starlings are, if you're in an area where a flock that large roosts, I can assure it isn't as beautiful when it's crapping on your car/house/family members. Having put up with a large flock of this invasive, prolific, non-native bird here in North America, I can say its beauty is fleeting.;)

I hear ya, but I'm positive I'd always enjoy that show. I've seen similar displays around here but never in those numbers.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not just a cool bird, I'm also pretty sure it's never crapped on anyone
[video=youtube;OFDdtRD5ED8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFDdtRD5ED8[/video]

Speedy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a/
Had what i believe, after watching that video, to be a murmuration in the oak trees this morning. The squawking was pretty loud and reminded me of a scene form 'The Birds", except for them not being gulls. One Black Cat firecracker and they all took off, I could feel the wind from their wings...

Top Bottom