A new juniper x pfitzeriana

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a fun little juniper I picked up on the cheap last weekend. I have removed a good deal of foliage, especially on the branch ends, to try to chase foliage closer to the trunk and down the branches. I am toying with jinning the very top of the tree and allowing it to be the top of the tree and possibly removing the 1st, large branch on the left in photo 2. I am thinking photo 2 is the front, though I do think the opposite side with the new jin in the back is another possible front. I see a lot of wiring as the next step as I try to bend some movement into some of the branches and put them where I want them. I don't know what I am talking about though :p What do you guys think? Thanks for any advice.

--Joe

Attachments

• P4301356.jpg
    P4301356.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 46
  • P4301353.jpg
    P4301353.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P4301362.jpg
    P4301362.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P4301359.jpg
    P4301359.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 39
  • P4301355.jpg
    P4301355.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 39

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with your plan and jin/remove the lowest left branch...maybe even jin (or remove) the right lowest branches too (in pic #2).

Good luck! :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I probably wouldn't jin anything yet, but just focus on driving the growth back toward the trunk. Lots of fert and sun for this year, then cut back hard over the winter and see what next spring brings. This can take several years to get the growth where you need it to be.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Plenty of sun or they get real leggy.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I picked up several of these myself recently. I'll be watching yours. I don't have any experience with them, but I'm trying to be patient. Mine need to have the foliage brought in too, but I haven't cut anything back yet.

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I picked up several of these myself recently. I'll be watching yours. I don't have any experience with them, but I'm trying to be patient. Mine need to have the foliage brought in too, but I haven't cut anything back yet.

Likewise...I'll try to keep this updated as I let it grow for the rest of the season. I did a decent amount to it as far as removing foliage...I figured for less than 20 dollars I could get a little bit crazy and see what happens. And so we shall! I'll be watching to see what happens with your's as well!

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with your plan and jin/remove the lowest left branch...maybe even jin (or remove) the right lowest branches too (in pic #2).

Good luck! :)

Thanks Dario. I was thinking of the lowest right branch(es) as well. I think that's a good idea in due time and I kinda think I'll end up removing the entire of the lowest, left branch someday.

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I probably wouldn't jin anything yet, but just focus on driving the growth back toward the trunk. Lots of fert and sun for this year, then cut back hard over the winter and see what next spring brings. This can take several years to get the growth where you need it to be.

I agree, Dav...I think I'm done messing with it for several months...it'll give the tree time to recover and grow (now that it's warm up here) and it'll give me time to decide on some things.

Plenty of sun or they get real leggy.

I understand what you mean Vance...the growth appears pretty leggy right now...there were about 5 of these shrubs sitting in the back corner of the nursery lot, shaded by a large tree growing in the ground on the property...it will get a good dose of sun from now on.

Top Bottom