A new place to buy and sell trees.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A few of us from bonsainut, bonsaistudygroup, IBC and other forums decided to make a better auction page than what Ebay and Bonsai Classifieds offer to sell higher end trees and pots than you find on most sites. We have two sites Bonsai Auctions and Bonsai Sales. Bonsai Sales is for straight sales, Bonsai Auctions is a weekly auction site using the bidding format most liked in japan. I know Facebook is inconvenient to many of you but this is a closed site, only members of the site can see your posts.

Bonsai Auctions https://www.facebook.com/groups/bonsai.auctions/ our goal is to run higher quality auctions than those currently online, mallsai and other mass produced trees won't be offered ( The first auction for the site starts on 9/30/14 this coming tuesday at 6PM and ends saturday night) we'll have trees collected by Randy Knight and Backcountry bonsai, and several styled by Matt Reel, as well items sold by Owen Reich and several other world class and up and coming potters and professionals. We'd love to have you all join us.

Bonsai Sales https://www.facebook.com/groups/bonsai.sales/ a weekly site for selling and buying on Facebook.

Not sure if this should be in the sales section since I'm not directly selling anything, admins feel free to move this.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I appreciate that you (and others) have decided to start another site to buy and sell trees...thank you.
But...don't you think that, perhaps, you could have opened with..." As an alternative to eBay and Bonsai Classifieds, we are ...", as opposed to "...a site better than..."?
Here's the thing...I think Mark Goodman is doing a great job over there. There is a lot of quality material and bonsai related stuff there. not to mention a lot of peeps from BNut...I don't mean to start another slingfest here (they seem so popular here)...just a suggestion.
Thanks for your time and effort,
Jonathan

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I appreciate that you (and others) have decided to start another site to buy and sell trees...thank you.
But...don't you think that, perhaps, you could have opened with..." As an alternative to eBay and Bonsai Classifieds, we are ...", as opposed to "...a site better than..."?
Here's the thing...I think Mark Goodman is doing a great job over there. There is a lot of quality material and bonsai related stuff there. not to mention a lot of peeps from BNut...I don't mean to start another slingfest here (they seem so popular here)...just a suggestion.
Thanks for your time and effort,
Jonathan

We appreciate what Mark did for online classifieds, our site is geared differently and we feel we've weeded out all the problems associated with these kinds of sites. So yes I would call it a significantly better alternative to classifieds, but it is just that an alternative. Classifieds is a great site too, however many buyers have left or want to leave because of the lack of stability over there. Our site is a lot better thought out and shouldn't have those problems. There are currently four admins from different backgrounds, we've voted on all rules and tried to make the best possible place and we think we've done that. We have no problem with people using every auction site available thats great!

Reaction score
There's still going to be a drama-fest and complaints.

It's what happens when people discover that their stuff isn't exactly worth it's weight in gold.

The format has nothing to do with people being able to sell "high end" trees. If the market dictates such a high price, then they'll get their price. If it doesn't then they should lower their price.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll def check it out and have requested to be added. I don't see the problem in having another place to buy and sell quality bonsai materials. The more options the better.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am willing to give it a shot. It could be a breath of fresh air. (Might not buy any trees until winter over...but I would like to see how it is ran)

I joined Bonsai Classifieds...twice. And twice I removed myself from the group. I have done auctions on Facebook in the past that was "non bonsai" related. Without feeling uneasy...

Bonsai Classified...no offense to ones who use it...and I have never met the man/Mark...but with how he handled himself over the scrolls. (The first time I left) Then this last time his using all caps in some of his reply which I just didn't feel was needed.(*All capital letters are considered yelling when in text) I feel he was a bit unprofessional. I got an uneasy feeling after knowing the reason I left the first time, and seeing caps in his reply. For that reason...I am excited to see something fresh that is bonsai related available.

Again...no offense to anyone who feel comfortable with Bonsai Classified. And no offense toward Mark. Maybe if I knew of him,and his typing style...I would understand his text responses better. But, since I don't...I can only go on what I know of past history of my time there. Which was very sort lived both times.

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is no doubt that sometime soon people are going to be upset about something at the new place. Get people arguing over monetary issues!! I also think Mark has more headaches than anyone knows. I hope the new people are ready for that, it's like the assistant coach who wants to be the head coach only to find out that being the assistant coach position was a lot more fun!! No one calls the assistant coach to complain about playing time.

Handling discipline on the new place needs to be done privately...please. People do need to be called out for their wrongdoing, just do it in a private message.

Consistency matters. Every morning I open the same cabinet to find my coffee mug. It's never in a different place...unless the in-laws have been over!!

It's a noble idea to sell higher end things. Guess what's going to happen when someone tells someone their thing isn't a higher end thing!! Our little peaceful world becomes other!! I'll enjoy both sites for the opportunities to buy, sell and watch the fireworks!!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am willing to give it a shot. It could be a breath of fresh air. (Might not buy any trees until winter over...but I would like to see how it is ran)

I joined Bonsai Classifieds...twice. And twice I removed myself from the group. I have done auctions on Facebook in the past that was "non bonsai" related. Without feeling uneasy...

Bonsai Classified...no offense to ones who use it...and I have never met the man/Mark...but with how he handled himself over the scrolls. (The first time I left) Then this last time his using all caps in some of his reply which I just didn't feel was needed.(*All capital letters are considered yelling when in text) I feel he was a bit unprofessional. I got an uneasy feeling after knowing the reason I left the first time, and seeing caps in his reply. For that reason...I am excited to see something fresh that is bonsai related available.

Again...no offense to anyone who feel comfortable with Bonsai Classified. And no offense toward Mark. Maybe if I knew of him,and his typing style...I would understand his text responses better. But, since I don't...I can only go on what I know of past history of my time there. Which was very sort lived both times.

MAYBE HE JUST HAD HIS EAR PHONES IN AND DIDN'T KNOW HOW LOUD HE WAS TYPING!!!!

Competition is a good thing. It keeps people honest and ensures that competitors are motivated to improve. Since the rules stipulate no duplicate postings between the 2 sites, I figure this is a way to have 3 places catering to 3 different needs.

And I can still read all the inter-drama and chuckle at people that take themselves far too serious. I'm joined up and look forward to the new option of acquisition. Less competition, less money to a third party.

Cheers,
B

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
There will undoubtedly be some form of disatisfaction and/or drama, but the bottom line is we aim to please. We aim to be the best possible Facebook hosted bonsai auction site. There's 4 of us to help make that happen. The sad thing about the mention above about the scrolls is those differences were actually worked out and Stacy become a true and tested seller there, but you are right it and other situations could have been handled better. Perhaps I would have been as unreasonable as Mark but guess what we have different branches in our government with this one. Sort of like checks and balances.
The aspect of quality will mainly be dictated by the starting bid limits, the 3 items Max allowed under $20 and the rules stating no mallsai no sick trees. We can simply quote the rules in the message body to the potential offender.
We appreciate your thoughts, concerns and support. Hopefully we will see you on the bidding lines :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also think Mark has more headaches than anyone knows.

This. regarding the scrolls: I think Mark handled it best he could while trying to keep everyone happy. Unfortunately that is never possible and frustrations will always surface. Sometimes people just have to pull rank and say "it's my way or the highway". regardless since it worked out in the end, you can see how he wants to be accomodating. One must realize he is doing it for free on his own time. There is no profit for him in this.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
One must realize he is doing it for free on his own time. There is no profit for him in this.

This is not really true. He has created a venue for himself to sell his crafted bonsai wares with minimal fees. That is a monetary incentive. He routinely receives gifted items from sellers. That is a monetary incentive. He was sent hundreds of dollars through PayPal as a good will gesture. That is a monetary incentive.

I'm not saying he's 100% compensated for his time but he is most certainly not doing it for free.

I don't think Mark handled personal matters exceptionally. The two main issues I had with BC was that 1) only he and his wife were mods and 2) he continued to sell his own wares when auction end times were unknown to everyone else. Seems like a conflict of interest IMO.

That being said I'm not leaving BC. I can have differences of opinion and still benefit from being a member. Hopefully both groups will do well.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I hate to say this but it worked out with Stacy because I got involved and smoothed out the wrinkles otherwise who knows. Mark was great at taking ideas and implementing them. His intentions were always golden. Unfortunately some of changes and attitude towards correcting those changes rubbed people the wrong way. It is actually hard for me to help launch this in his face but it would have happened sooner or later by us or someone else.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
His intentions were always golden.

I agree. I also feel like he wasn't great at communicating with the community by and large. If I had a hazard to guess I would say that that is the single largest reason people felt a precipitous to leave.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There will undoubtedly be some form of disatisfaction and/or drama, but the bottom line is we aim to please. We aim to be the best possible Facebook hosted bonsai auction site. There's 4 of us to help make that happen. The sad thing about the mention above about the scrolls is those differences were actually worked out and Stacy become a true and tested seller there, but you are right it and other situations could have been handled better. Perhaps I would have been as unreasonable as Mark but guess what we have different branches in our government with this one. Sort of like checks and balances.
The aspect of quality will mainly be dictated by the starting bid limits, the 3 items Max allowed under $20 and the rules stating no mallsai no sick trees. We can simply quote the rules in the message body to the potential offender.
We appreciate your thoughts, concerns and support. Hopefully we will see you on the bidding lines :)

True...they worked out their differences...it's one reason I gave it another go. :) But as you say...other situations arise. I had seen it prior to that episode...It's how it's handled is the key. Not on open display for all to see. Things need to be handled in PM and not on an open/closed group's wall. That is more professional...I like that questions and such must also be applied in a PM. This might deter some of the drama from unfolding. I like drama...in a TV serious or movie...but,there is a time and place for it. An auction I find myself wanting more of a buisness atmosphere. That there are four to bounce ideas off of...and such. I think might make it run smoother. Less pressure on one persons shoulders. Excited to see this up and running. :)

Again...if I knew the person/Mark previously I might take his text differently. I can only go on what past things that took place be my guide. Which is a shame...but...I am glad to see that others enjoy it. Again...not everything is for everyone. I am one for rules...and structure. I like the set of rules so far how they are to be applied on this new auction on Facebook. :)

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
The monetary incentive was a goodwill gesture started by Bob Pressler. It was long awaited and long overdue. It's certainly not something we count on. But you are right it's not 100% selfless. The four moderators all have bonsai and bonsai wares they want to sell. This will help us and many others do that

Reaction score
Thought I would put out some info, regarding the two sites...
This new site, Bonsai Auctions, is going to be just like Bonsai Classifieds.
It will have pretty much all the same people selling all the same stuff.
I personally will be putting my items of art up for auction here and I know
quite a few others who will be doing the same. This is not to say that I and
the others will not be continuing to sell on the Classifieds. However, having
said this, for me personally, it has been a little to hectic at the classifieds as
of lately.

The biggest reason for them creating the new site and for a lot of us joining
was for consistency. Lately, it has become some what of a roller-coaster
ride at the classifieds, because of the constant changing of how the auctions
are taking place. Leaving a lot of people confused and frustrated, as well as
not being able to actually participate because of the system bogging down...

Top Bottom