A nice little prize

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I don't believe B-Nut will mind me posting something about another forum here.

BonsaiCHAT.net has an annual Spring Styling Contest, as some of you will know. The idea is to buy a plant from a general-purpose nursery, give it its first styling, and see who can come up with the best results. The winner is determined by a vote of the membership.

I had the privilege of winning this year's contest. Here are pictures of my tree, a yew from Lowe's, before and after; and of the nice Japanese-made pot I received as the prize. :)

There's a bit of a story about the selection of the tree. My daughter, almost nine, was with me browsing the nursery row at Lowe's. She independently decided that this tree was the best available candidate. If your kids show any inclination toward bonsai, feed it!

Attachments

• Plant pics, 5-30-09 005.jpg
    Plant pics, 5-30-09 005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Treebeard55 Taxus x media.jpg
    Treebeard55 Taxus x media.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 73
  • BC Spring Styling prize.jpg
    BC Spring Styling prize.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 51
  • BC Spring Styling prize, size reference.jpg
    BC Spring Styling prize, size reference.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 42

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Thanks, Antonio. Seems to me I remember that you won last year's contest. :)

The tree is doing well so far, popping some new growth and looking quite healthy. I'm going to "bring it along," so to speak, at the next meeting of the Yew Study Group on BV, see what Tom and the others have to say. There's a long way to go with it yet, but if I do it justice it should end up quite nice.

Top Bottom