A nightmare on elm street.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I planted a batch of American elm seeds this spring.
I had I dont know how many sprout but I kept 100.
Craziness! Next year I will be putting them up into 3 gallon containers for max growth.
Not sure where I'll keep 100 3 gallon buckets.
That's 48 in that upside down pallet.20180817_155606.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Put a couple in the ground, ive got a couple dutch elms here they pop up random everywere each year realy anoying actualy lol
got a couple potted up are two year now
Kept one in the ground and im not kidding that one is now 2" in diameter while the potted ones are pencil thick now

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Put a couple in the ground, ive got a couple dutch elms here they pop up random everywere each year realy anoying actualy lol
got a couple potted up are two year now
Kept one in the ground and im not kidding that one is now 2" in diameter while the potted ones are pencil thick now
I plan on it. There's no way I can deal with 100 of these in pots.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
American elm from seed is defintely on my radar.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get the smallest packet. It's the one I got and there were close to 200 seeds in there.
usually do, I meant to collect my own this spring but somehow completely missed the window for seed

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
usually do, I meant to collect my own this spring but somehow completely missed the window for seed
I grabbed some seeds off landscape elms last fall and they germinated just fine this spring

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I grabbed some seeds off landscape elms last fall and they germinated just fine this spring
Elms usually drop seed before the weather warms up. Are you sure that's what you collected? Maybe it was zelkova?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do admit I'm not an expert at tree identification, it was a lacebark variety, maybe allee. I reviewed my notes and seeds were collected on November 1st in Atlanta, GA, zone 7. Here is a picture of the seedlings20180829_154522.jpg20180829_154608.jpg

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If they were lacebark and are in GA, I would guess Chinese Elm. I saw a ton when I was there 2 years ago.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When do you plan to plant them in the ground?
I'll put some in the ground next spring. Not too many though.
Because I'm thinking I might make some root over rock and some neagari style with a few. Just to play with. I'll probably sell those if they turn out decent.
A couple forests and a few clumps too.
But in order to get a few fat ones some go in the ground. Straight in. No tiles or boards. They will get ground layered for perfect radial roots. Faster,easier and better than growing on a tile.

Top Bottom