A. palmatum dissectum air layer

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve read once, or twice on B-nut that dissecta are very difficult to air layer, but my landscape maple is throwing an apex outside of the desired silhouette, so I’m giving it a shot. I’m letting the girdle dry out for a couple of days and I’m trying to decide whether to go back and angle the upper cut to the desired planting angle, or leave it as is, because I cut it right at a node. @0soyoung , you mentioned on the science of air layering thread that roots should emerge more easily at a node. Given these cultivars’ difficult reputation, do you have an opinion on whether it makes enough of a difference to leave it as is?
0635AAE5-1B2F-4273-9D66-75BEE7FB800E.jpegCB1F5490-F7F9-4177-B474-CD385BC53596.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would leave it as is. Make sure your top cut is clean - like cut with a razor blade. (It doesn't look very clean in your photo). Then apply a rooting hormone (or not) and make sure you media is packed tightly and securely against the top of the girdle. The rest is time and luck.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
make sure you media is packed tightly
I’ll use sphagnum and I’ll certainly pack it in, but if it’s too tight, won’t it exclude air (and therefore oxygen), not to mention creating a physical barrier to root growth? I guess I should ask you define “tight” and whether it’s a recommendation specific to maples.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good luck, I have not been successful doing a weeping. Seiryu is an upright and will easily airlayer.

Top Bottom