Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi everyone!

I just came back from a tree nursery with this rather large Acer palmatum shishigashira. They had a lot of japanese maples for 'garden use' in stock and I remembered this cultivar being used for bonsai. It was on sale, so I didn't really hesitate.

The base and cultivar was what caught my eye... Base is 12 cm (4.7 inches) at its widest.
View attachment 252686

View attachment 252687

Plenty of new growth near the base.
View attachment 252688

Three large branches emerging from the same point. The plan is to air-layer it in a couple of places.
View attachment 252689

It's pretty big! 130 cm from the soil level (4.2 feet)
View attachment 252690

Good growth. I thought they were slow growers, but some of the shoots are 20+ cm.
View attachment 252691

I have no experience with this cultivar, so I do have a couple of questions:

Do they air-layer well?
How do they take root pruning and repotting?

I'd like to take a few air-layers next year. Should I repot it first, then air-layer? Or no layering and repotting in the same year?
I usually don't buy trees from regular nurseries (anymore) because of the potting soil... But I'm afraid that I'll have to prune it severely if I want to repot it in spring.
If I do that, I won't be able to take the large air-layers I want.

Anyways, I'm glad I found this tree!
Per the note I sent you earlier, the Shishi I bought is very similar in size, graft location and look, etc. In a bigger pot that's all. Did you end up working to bonsai the mother tree stock? Very curious. Thanks, Kirk

Top Bottom