A point of view on a display.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I learned quite a bit from this thread, so thanks to all that provided fodder. Perhaps Al is right that the shitakusa is too busy, but I can't help but love it anyway.

One questions: Al mentioned that azaleas don't bloom at night (probably means they're not effective in warding off vampires). My question is this: Are horticultural realities to be included in the evaluation of the display or merely the aesthetic considerations? Could I display a high elevation tree with an accent plant that grows at lower elevation?

Jeff

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
For women Harry...For women. Read the opening line;

Do you take your wife anywhere? I go to about 15 exhibits a year, sometimes more. When my wife goes it's always the flowering trees or those with fruit or doo dads that attract my wifes attention. Kimura himself could be there with his best tree and my wife would walk right past him saying "excuse me your blocking my view of that pretty azalea".

Man you make me work for it.....

Hey man do me a favor sometime, I have a copy of "the best of bonsai in Europe" issue 5, you may have a copy or can borrow one. You will see some of the best bonsai trees in the world, bar none. The pictures are of the trees with a black background, no fluff, just picture after picture of magnificent trees, I think you would enjoy it and show it to your wife.

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey man do me a favor sometime, I have a copy of "the best of bonsai in Europe" issue 5, you may have a copy or can borrow one. You will see some of the best bonsai trees in the world, bar none. The pictures are of the trees with a black background, no fluff, just picture after picture of magnificent trees, I think you would enjoy it and show it to your wife.

keep it green,
Harry

I have Kokufu books that put Best in Europe to shame....She don't care about bonsai.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry buddy , I respectfully disagree, an Azalea is a blooming shrub, a JBP is a tree and shows the ruggedness of nature and the will to survive almost any climate. I appreciate the beauty of an Azalea, but it's short lived. As a foot note, we sometimes we have a blooming Azalea in our show, when I work the floor, the only ones that pay any attention to it, are the little old ladies, but rednecks aren't too sophisticated, only opinionated. We still eat fried chicken with our fangers.

keep it green,
Harry

Harry,
Didn't you write this a while ago:

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2013&page=2

In post#11 you've said: "I don't own one myself, but I've always admired them from afar". You were referring to, of all things, an azalea. I guess, for some reason, your admiration turned into something else.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Harry,
Didn't you write this a while ago:

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2013&page=2

In post#11 you've said: "I don't own one myself, but I've always admired them from afar". You were referring to, of all things, an azalea. I guess, for some reason, your admiration turned into something else.

Yep, afar, that would be a long ways off, beside's whats the fun in posting if I can't get Al's blood pressure up......:p

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I will try to be a good boy and keep my remarks in the bar and lurk here until someone wants to discuss conifers, better.

keep it green,
Hary

Top Bottom