A Problem Question

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need some info on what this might be, everyone of my JBPs practically have at least one of their candles that have this happening to them, anyone can tell me what might be causing this?
The candles will be removed soon of course but I've never had this stuff before and would like to know what's causing it.
I might add that it started out with just one or two trees about a month ago and has since then spread to almost all of them within the past few days.

I mIMG_0648.JPG

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two possibilities come to mind -

1) some type of tip blight (fungal probably, possibly diplodia)

2) some type of pine shoot moth or beetle - the larvae get into the shoots and eat them from the inside

I would dissect some of those damaged shoots to see if you can find evidence of #2. If not, it's probably fungal. Do you use fungicides on a regular schedule?

Do you have a lot of sick and/or dying pines in the area (landscape)? It's a big problem around here.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have a lot of sick and/or dying pines in the area (landscape)? It's a big problem around here.

Here in my part of Texas pines aren't a common tree, east Texas now that's a different story. I usually don't have a fungal problem with my pines even with all the spring rain we got this year. As for the moth possibility, I have seen some fly out of the foliage when I water the tops at my first watering of the day, I'll take your advice and look into a few of the candles. Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I knocked one of mine to where the dog could hit it and it has tips like that now.

20200619_115630.jpg

But the buds are intact.

20200619_115627.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Correction, it was the wind that blew it over , that I went to "save" everything from, ran around for 5 minutes for nothing but getting soaked.... then the sun came out..WT! Lol

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Systemic insecticide. Try Merit.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes it sure does and here's the culprit, now what's the best remedy to prevent this ?
That’s it! I’ve never treated for this, but usually get only a few damaged candles per year, across a dozen pines. Decandling in the summer doesn’t jive with their life cycle, so the second flush is nearly always fine.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, I'll look for it. Any leads on a good place to find it and is it granular or liquid and how about dosage?
That’s it! I’ve never treated for this, but usually get only a few damaged candles per year, across a dozen pines. Decandling in the summer doesn’t jive with their life cycle, so the second flush is nearly always fine.
I believe Brian is correct in saying these pests won't be around to bother your second flush of growth in July, so you probably don't need to treat for them now, other then removing damaged candles. Treating next spring might be a good idea, though.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've rarely had these in my JBP - they usually seem to attack pondy's in my yard. And that's a problem since they're single flush.

I use Bayer with the active ingredient imidacloprid and that seems to have reduced the amount of damage. Not sure what the active ingredient is in Merit, might be the same.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use Safari for almost everything. Took care of pine tip moth on young JBP for me. Bought on Amazon, about $130 or so but will last a few years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Isn't there a story/legend that the Suzuki clan at Daiju-En supposedly discovered decandling when a pine tip moth infestation removed a bunch of candles and they were shocked when the trees flushed again?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isn't there a story/legend that the Suzuki clan at Daiju-En supposedly discovered decandling when a pine tip moth infestation removed a bunch of candles and they were shocked when the trees flushed again?
I'd like to think so.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Train tiny spiders to make webs on your tips.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like some of what you are smoking.

An ounce of prevention!

Seriously though.

I have these little orange fellers all over, and they certainly reduce the numbers of instances.

Sorce

Top Bottom