A question on bonsai pots

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Even knowing who made it, I still don't like it. I have physically held a few Thor pots, a friend loves his work. The ones I've seen were much better, better made than this one.

I have bought many USA and European made pots. I do prefer Japanese pots. The issue with rustic and distressed style pots is they too easily cross into the realm of crap. This one just did not make the grade.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even knowing who made it, I still don't like it. I have physically held a few Thor pots, a friend loves his work. The ones I've seen were much better, better made than this one.

I have bought many USA and European made pots. I do prefer Japanese pots. The issue with rustic and distressed style pots is they too easily cross into the realm of crap. This one just did not make the grade.
I don't like it all that much either. I don't know if this one didn't "make the grade" -- Put a different glaze on it and it's pretty comparable to some of what's coming off of Thor's website. Most of his work is great, some of it is meh IMO. This one misses a bit, but Like I said, it is what it is.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The traditional vs "rustic" distinction isn't only a thing in bonsai pots. Naive art is a thing in the regular art world too

I'm definitely another person in the understand but not like bandwagon, but I understand it as a specific interpretation of an experience in a place

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I appreciate all the thoughtful responses that have been provided here. Now that I have a better understanding of the scale and process for how it was made I can respect it (even if it's not my cup of tea).

I strongly believe that art is a very important part of a thriving society (as I'm sure many of you do) so this post was meant in no way to denigrate the artist/s. And that's part of the beauty of it, we all have our personal tastes and that's OK! So thank you all, now we can go back to arguing about soil or something else.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I appreciate all the thoughtful responses that have been provided here. Now that I have a better understanding of the scale and process for how it was made I can respect it (even if it's not my cup of tea).

I strongly believe that art is a very important part of a thriving society (as I'm sure many of you do) so this post was meant in no way to denigrate the artist/s. And that's part of the beauty of it, we all have our personal tastes and that's OK! So thank you all, now we can go back to arguing about soil or something else.
D63823DD-B488-4C1D-8952-9CCD3F1BD999.jpeg
. Kidding

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally also saw video on Mirai Tuesday eve and as watching evaluated 9 pots on table. AFAIC only "MAYBE" 4 were decent looking. Do not care who made if looks like junk. Too often title/self perception "artist" gives people fat head🤨🤪.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The pot has accomplished its goal…….people are talking about it.
People are talking about it, but for the most part it's negative talk. Who wants their work associated with a negative discussion?

For some reason with people, negativity tends to always stick in our brains. Pretty much all of us that discussed this pot will always remember it for what it is.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
People are talking about it, but for the most part it's negative talk. Who wants their work associated with a negative discussion?

For some reason with people, negativity tends to always stick in our brains. Pretty much all of us that discussed this pot will always remember it for what it is.
The “talk” is in part similar to the vacuum cleaner tree at the artisan cup a number of years ago. It doesn’t matter if it’s negative or positive. People are investigating their relationship to art and personal taste and what that means. There are no right or wrong answers. Once again, “embrace the paradox”.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The “talk” is in part similar to the vacuum cleaner tree at the artisan cup a number of years ago. It doesn’t matter if it’s negative or positive. People are investigating their relationship to art and personal taste and what that means. There are no right or wrong answers. Once again, “embrace the paradox”.
Crust is a legend.

Top Bottom