A quick question about fertilizer

Reaction score
First, apologies for posting such a basic question. I wasn’t able to find a specific answer elsewhere.

My understanding is that when applying liquid fertilizer, at full strength, one should first water, in order to avoid burning the roots. In this case, does one fully water first, or just wet the substrate? I would also like to know, is it the same procedure with half strength with every watering, or do you first apply less water, or none at all?

Thanks in advance!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In a nutshell, I fertilize when I want to as long as the plants aren't thirsty. This is for liquid fertilizer.
Right? Wrong? Hell, I don't know. That is the way I was taughht to fertilize at my first nursery job 59 years ago.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In this case, does one fully water first, or just wet the substrate?
If you fully water right before then most if not all of the liquid fertilizer will simply drain out. So it is best to moisten the soil or allow it to partly dry out before applying the liquid fertilizer. Also change your watering habits to match the application of liquid fertilizer and limit the waste.
From my perspective it makes sense to use diluted solution more frequently, particularly if you have inorganic substrate. The answer will vary if you are using substrate that has a high CEC value and retains the liquid fertilizer for longer periods of time.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In a nutshell, I fertilize when I want to as long as the plants aren't thirsty. This is for liquid fertilizer.
Right? Wrong? Hell, I don't know. That is the way I was taughht to fertilize at my first nursery job 59 years ago.
Sounds about right to me.

If they are thirsty, dunk 'em.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you mean with full strength? Straight out of the bottle?
If you dilute it like it says on the bottle it's fine. If the soil is very dry you can make it a bit weaker as your giving more anyway.
If the plant is dehydrated, just water, that's more urgent than nutrients.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish this was scientifically worked out already, as there is more going on that we can't see.

I wonder what effect water has on any given soil (particles) to change it's "negative surface charges", those which attract positive nutrient charges.

This could effect "appropriate" depending on both the water, and the soil.

Just seeing what is visible, I'd always water first, then use a more concentrated fert solution just near the base. This seems to waste as little as possible.

Sorce

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are lots of scientific papers on this. So many that it's hard to find the basics.

I don't pre-water but give less than when I'm just watering to prevent too much just going through.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When it gets time to feed, I just water for a few days with dilute solution.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, fertilizer pouring through is almost never a concern with me. I foliar feed almost exclusively when using liquid fertilizers. Again, that is what I have done for 59 years. With very small plants I do sometimes fertilize the soil, but with a relatively weak solution.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fertilizer pouring through is a waste and a pollutant. It won't hurt the tree.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What liquid fertilizer you use guys?
For my small tropical bonsai that stay inside all the time I use Bonsai Bill's Bonsai Brew. I have been happy with this over the past several years.
For plants outside, whether oak, ficus or pine, I use Miracle Grow alternating with Neptune's Fish Emulsion. The azalea and and a few others get Miracide.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cheap stuff (with micro-nutrients, not just NPK)

Top Bottom