A raintree at 52 degrees North

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My australian and colombian natives do pretty well with a 15 degrees C minimum. Anything lower will cause them to stall.
Even though we're at low altitude, they might drop the foliage because of the intensity of the sunlight.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I bring mine out once the night time temps are consistently above 50.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My BRT's are the only trees I have to bring in, that don't revolt and throw all their leaves/blooms to the floor in disgust when they first come in. They get a little leggy, but grow all winter indoors. Glad yours made it. Mine don't have nearly that large of a trunk. Nice one.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering.. My BRT has NOT grown for the last 2 months or so. What could I doing wrong? Do they prefer a dry substrate? Lots of fertilizer? Or more wet? Less fertilizer? Sun? Shade? Organics or not?

Bit annoyed. We have had such a great summer yet my BRT is sulking and I do not know why.

Anyone any thoughts?@Clicio ?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 months?!?! These things could probably grow in a dirty clothes-hamper.

..full sun, wet and feed daily...
...shade, take a week off from watering and hope the chipmunks use the pot as a potty...

what are YOU giving for care?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
What could I doing wrong? Do they prefer a dry substrate? Lots of fertilizer? Or more wet? Less fertilizer? Sun? Shade? Organics or not?
Anyone any thoughts?@Clicio ?
Of course my weather is completely different from yours, but...
Full sun, lots of organics in the soil mix, organic fertilizer all year round and lots of water. I keep mine in a drip tray always wet.
My main problem here is dryness and long very hot summers, when dappled shade in the afternoon is needed.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
52 degrees!! This is at the south end off Hudson Bay!!
Well.. Or nearAhaus in Germany

Full sun, lots of organics in the soil mix, organic fertilizer all year round and lots of water. I keep mine in a drip tray always wet.
Maybe more sun. I have been keeping it out of full sun. Moved it. Will give a bit more shit too, and see if that helps.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
straange.. the whol summer this plant did nothing. brought it inside for winter. it dropped its leaves and was bare for a bit. and now.. in 3 days it does this. seems to take the change to northern hemisphere hard..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191205-110851.jpg
    Screenshot_20191205-110851.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20191205-110903.jpg
    Screenshot_20191205-110903.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 58

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you repot it? Put it in a bigger pot next time

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you repot it? Put it in a bigger pot next time
I put it in a differnt pot before moving it indoors; Now I have a matching dish below it to avoind water on the window sill :).

When I moved it, the tree had very few roots. Very odd. As if it has really not grown any since last fall. It is now in a 8 inch wide, 4 inch deep pot. That should be plenty for the number of leaves this poor thing has. A gentle peek in the substrate showed plenty of white tips on one of the mean roots so good hope for the future. Installing some grow lights for the next weeks so help it along. We are moving into a dark period now, light from ~8:00 till 16:00 with the sun not reaching higher that 16 degrees above the horizon. Shortest day is little over 7 1/2 hours daylight over christmas. (But then again, in summer we have almost 18 hours daylight, and nights that do not go fully black) Guess that is the down and upside of living at a Canadian latitude.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Flowers!!!
😁
Yes. It really seems to think SPRINGTIME! I would have expected the tree to respond to external triggers, but it feels like it still is with its rythm in Brazil. Very surprising to me. Of course I had heard rumours this might happen. But to see it happen is odd, to say the least.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lets just say I know some people who import trees and leave it at that. I think the route I used is not open to everyone.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I may be wildly uninformed, but I seem to remember that BRT like to often flower *when they are stressed*. Stress in this case being the change in light etc. indoors.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Yes. It really seems to think SPRINGTIME! I would have expected the tree to respond to external triggers, but it feels like it still is with its rythm in Brazil. Very surprising to me. Of course I had heard rumours this might happen. But to see it happen is odd, to say the least.
Yes, yours is behaving like mine are doing here in Brazil.
I find it odd too, but (just food for thought) what if you had taken it to Europe in the end of March or April? Maybe the "long" summer could do good fot it to adapt.
You see, I had a good friend from Germany take me a couple of Zelkovas when Spring here was beginning; they are doing great and growing like mad. They like the long summer.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I may be wildly uninformed, but I seem to remember that BRT like to often flower *when they are stressed*. Stress in this case being the change in light etc. indoors.

Yes and no? Most definitely a strong influence, but in my experience, I don't believe it to be the only factor.

Confused? 🤔 🤔 :D:D:D:D

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Then mine should all be blooming...........they're acting a little pissy this year inside.

Top Bottom