A (re)introduction thread

AaronG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everyone, some of you may already know me already as a member of Bonsai Nut (subnet). For those that don't know me, I am a beginner bonsai artist in Mississippi with about 10 trees, depending on the most recent postmortem count. I continually struggle with the art half of bonsai, as well as, the patience it takes to make a good bonsai. I have discovered over the years that I love working with mostly deciduous trees. We have a lot of pine forests here and the soft beauty of a deciduous tree is something I would love to get better at creating.

In recent years, my bonsai practice has been more passive than active and I have recently decided to become more active again. In doing so, I thought it would be a good time to shed the anonymous username since I'd like to start connecting with the bonsai artists around me and attending workshops/shows in pursuit of taking my skill set to the next level. I also hope to one day make some contributions to the community-at-large in some way. I am not going to necessarily say "I'm back" because I am old enough to know that life can take you in many directions and have unexpected turns even as early as the moment I hit the Post thread button. "I'm here today" seems far more appropriate.

D

Deleted member 21616

welcome! if that’s the right term :)

I continually struggle with the art half of bonsai

i do too. mostly because i have little practice and familiarity with everything from stylistic wiring and branch placement to stands, accents and scrolls.

luckily, most of my trees are a decade away from my having to think about this too seriously right now :)

at the moment, i’m busy growing roots and trunks

as well as, the patience it takes to make a good bonsai

I used to think bonsai was about patience. But now that i’ve gone through a few annual cycles, i find myself busy with bonsai almost every day! If you find yourself patiently staring at a tree, that’s a good indicator that you have time for more trees! :)

AaronG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I used to think bonsai was about patience. But now that i’ve gone through a few annual cycles, i find myself busy with bonsai almost every day! If you find yourself patiently staring at a tree, that’s a good indicator that you have time for more trees! :)

Thanks for the welcome. I have had more trees. I think I went through all sources of the beginner artist: mallsai, nursery-sai, yardadori. But in the end it wasn't the material, no I wish it was as easy as waiting on the tree to develop. Instead, I spend time waiting on me to develop. :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am a beginner bonsai artist

Few are "artist":confused:. Some very proficient at contest acceptance rules merely "craftsmen". :rolleyes: Most of us neither. True artistry rare gift of vision, inspiration, skill, humility.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Hi everyone, some of you may already know me already as a member of Bonsai Nut (subnet). For those that don't know me, I am a beginner bonsai artist in Mississippi with about 10 trees, depending on the most recent postmortem count. I continually struggle with the art half of bonsai, as well as, the patience it takes to make a good bonsai. I have discovered over the years that I love working with mostly deciduous trees. We have a lot of pine forests here and the soft beauty of a deciduous tree is something I would love to get better at creating.

In recent years, my bonsai practice has been more passive than active and I have recently decided to become more active again. In doing so, I thought it would be a good time to shed the anonymous username since I'd like to start connecting with the bonsai artists around me and attending workshops/shows in pursuit of taking my skill set to the next level. I also hope to one day make some contributions to the community-at-large in some way. I am not going to necessarily say "I'm back" because I am old enough to know that life can take you in many directions and have unexpected turns even as early as the moment I hit the Post thread button. "I'm here today" seems far more appropriate.

Welcome back from a fellow walker of the winding road...

Top Bottom