A recent look at 'Penelope' by Nick Lenz

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Many people love this composition, and some hate it. To me, it is one of the greatest achievements in American 'tree art'... whether or not it qualifies as bonsai is debated by many, but that's a boring conversation :)

I know that she is rarely shown, and since she moved to Canada many people may not have seen what this piece looks like since the picture that is shown in Nick's book. That was probably taken a decade ago.

Anyway, hopefully this short video is the next best thing. It was taken last weekend in Toronto.

Enjoy! Don't forget to switch to 720p.

p.s. it is Larix laricina planted on a concrete statue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
thanks for the post... I have never had the opportunity to see this tree before.
what can on say ???

Obviously the tree is really nice.
I think the problem most probally have (my self included) with the statue
is that it is a bit gimmicky, if that is a word ???
I mean I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with a tree growing over
a statue, if it felt a bit more natural...

For example... I have seen photos in nature where banyan figs with their ariel
roots are strangling a budha, or a ruin.
View attachment 22735View attachment 22736

Seeing that the statue looks greek/romanesque...
perhaps a type of plant a little more along the lines of what one would think
would grow in that region naturally ??? An olive, pomegranate, Bougie, etc.....
Also, I think if the statue was a little more distressed and old it might help as well ???

Awesome tree, and yes I do believe it is a bonsai... but seeing that the intention
was obviously to shock, and be controversial... one might have at least wrapped
it around a beer tap, so one could help themselves to a beer while viewing... :)

Just my two cents...
thanks again for posting !!!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yes it is definitely a greek-esque statue, hence the name Penelope (wife of Odysseus).

I don't think the species really matters. Nick probably chose larch because he had a bunch of them lying around, and the develop strong root systems. Plus they grow well in the NE.

I know Nick has some batsh*t crazy plantings, but I don't think this is in the same category of trees planted on a beer tap or a shotgun or a larix ejaculate or whatever. Maybe he intended it to be, but I think it has become something much greater than that, and to me it is definitely not kitsch.

The sexy provocative roots trying to seduce her as she waits, the umbrella-like foliage, the simple slab foundation, and the name 'Penelope' all come together to tell an incredible story which Nick may or may not have intended to tell. I am no art critic and take a very pragmatic approach to bonsai, but I believe this to be true art.

This is a complete fantasy piece... the species or how much it looks like Angkor Wat doesn't really matter to me :)

Cheers!

Edit: I've included a still image as well. Sorry for the busy background. Art galleries don't know how to display bonsai :)

SlY1T.jpg

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks like the perfect marriage of nature and art. It is striking, almost looks spooky at times. The camera panning around the tree revealed that from right side looking at the face of "Penelope" the eyes seemed to follow you as the camera panned up and down the right canopy. It brought to my mind an image of some type of ancient seductress there to lead the weak on towards their doom. I loved the tree and the way it caresses her form, as if to offer either some form of modesty or solace, whether desired or not, its a poetic scene and Bonsai in every sense.

ed

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
While still wild and wonderful, it is starling how much this planting was allowed to grow. What was a thin parasol has become a looming shade tree and the roots that gingerly clasp her breasts have become rapacious. Excellent job at attaining the perfect perching stance of the tree allowing it to evolve as a design. My experience is that trees composed on artifacts easily flop in time without vigilance to keep things balanced. In taking care of a Lenzian communis-over-antelope skull, I was absent for three years when she was just essentially watered and controlled. I don't know if I ever will be able to re-strike the balance with her. I will always love Penelope because I watched her grow from conception. I is good to know she is being loved and cared for.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know why anyone would not like this tree or the composition. It's a lovely tree, and the statue is part of a story of decline and neglect... and of nature reclaiming it's place. Nice to see her continuing that process.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I was up working with Nick last year, I mentioned that it was one of my favorite compositions of his. While I can't remember his exact reply, to say he scoffed at that idea would be pretty close

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my all-time favorites, thaks for posting the beautiful picture.

Penelope, the wife of Odysseus, and the symbol of marital fidelity. The roots around her body are very suggestive. Is she restraining herself, to be faithful to her husband, or does she need to be restrained by the roots of the tree? Is fidelity a virtue, or a prison? It's up to the viewer to decide.

Like in many cases when we view a work of art, knowing the story behind the picture is crucial, if we truely want to appreciate the work. If we just simply plant a tree on top of a statue, the impact can be intrigueing, but also incomplete. In this case, the story of Penelope is a major part of appreciating the work.

I am very glad that the tree is alive and healthy, because it is such a rarity to see a work of art where a live tree and a statue tells us a story from Greek mythology. It's also a rarity when the concept of bonsai is expanded into new realms where the main focus is on the story, and the techical details of a tree become secondary.
The tree itself is very well executed, but of secondary importance. You don't want the tree to detract from the main focus, which is the statue and the snake-like roots wrapped around her. This is how bonsai can shed the contstraints of being a craft, and transcend into art: the idea becomes the main focus, and the techniques become invisible.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't take the planting so literally adhering to Greek mythology. Possible different interpretations are what define art. Personal reaction is what art really tries to get.

I take this planting as a symbol of nature eventually overcoming even the biggest human egos. Even personal fame really means nothing in the long run Nature conquers all in the end.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't take the planting so literally adhering to Greek mythology. Possible different interpretations are what define art. Personal reaction is what art really tries to get.

I take this planting as a symbol of nature eventually overcoming even the biggest human egos. Even personal fame really means nothing in the long run Nature conquers all in the end.

I see that as a more generic interpretation of root-over-statue style. But if you look for that message, than this bonsai by Lenz is not the best example. It would clearly be unconvincing and technically deficient. The powerful, all-engorging roots of a giant banyan tree, growing over some crumbling statue, would be a much better choice. Same with an olive tree growing over old ruins and broken statues. And I am sure that Nick is aware of that.

In this case, the choice of Penelope, her position laying on the bed, the state of the statue (in nearly perfect condition), the snake-like roots, tell a completely different story in my view. The roots are not crushing or burying her. The just hold a firm grip on her. The idea that Penelope is just another statue, and there is nothing here, but a tree growing over it, would greatly diminish the whole experience. When I look at this, I see Penelope and the roots around her. Occasionally, I glance up at the tree, and briefly admire the beauty and ramificaton, but then my eye quickly returns to the main focal point. That's what matters the most.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, you're right...YOUR interpretation is MUCH more valid than mine...:rolleyes:;) At least I know how to spell Callus...:D

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, you're right...YOUR interpretation is MUCH more valid than mine...:rolleyes:;) At least I know how to spell Callus...:D

Nah, it's not more valid, it's just more inspired. I just think that Nick put more thought in this, than pure stylistic reasons.:)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I just think that Nick put more thought in this, than pure stylistic reasons"

But that was kind of my point. It really doesn't matter WHAT background thought Nick put into it. None of that really matters. All that matters is what the viewer see. If that means in my dull, dimwitted and unispired interpretation I have found personal meaning it it regardless of some ancient musty Greek myth known in detail only by ancient musty types :D

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I just think that Nick put more thought in this, than pure stylistic reasons"

But that was kind of my point. It really doesn't matter WHAT background thought Nick put into it. None of that really matters. All that matters is what the viewer see. If that means in my dull, dimwitted and unispired interpretation I have found personal meaning it it regardless of some ancient musty Greek myth known in detail only by ancient musty types :D

Well, it's your choice, of course. You may choose the easy way (=lazy way:)), and be happy with what you get. .

Or you can do what all good teachers unanimously recommend, and educate yourself. It takes a little more effort, but the reward will be more than worth the effort. Learning about things is actually not much effort, but just plain old fun. The truth is,that a little knowledge will inevitably add more depth and nuances to the way you see things.

I find a very similar scenario when I travel. Knowing a little bit of background info about the place I visit, opens a whole new world, and makes the trip so much more enjoyable. Otherwise, "it may be just another fancy building", and move on. Who cares if this is one of the only three buildings in the world, designed by so-and-so?

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"You may choose the easy way (=lazy way), and be happy with what you get."

Oh, jeez, I mean I AM lazy, but not really all that stupid. I've got a useless bachelor of arts degree and everything. I'm musty enough to know that Pelelope is Odyesusususss' :D wife and the "wine dark sea" and all that. I just don't care about such a specific interpretation. It just doesn't do much for me in this case.

I look at fancy buildings all the time. Got a fancy Frank Lloyd Wright dealie only a few miles from me. I'm overly impressed by it as much as the next guy...

Top Bottom