A resilient field maple (Acer campestre)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This A. campestre is one of the few that self-sow in my garden (I don't use any weed-killer chemicals).

It is one of these with a kind of "cork-bark", probably because it was in full sun and at a bottom of a cement wall - very hot. It was almost 1.50 metres tall, so I had to remove it, but didn't have time to do it at the right time, it was in full feaf. What's more, it was in a very rocky place, with a long tap-root that I had to severe.

No big chance for it to survive, very few roots left, almost none actually, but I put it in a pot after spreading the cuts with hormone powder.

Back from a week away. My son didn't water it, it's in a shaded place with other junk. But if the top had died weeks ago, it's now showing new shoots!

Half-way to the top (about 1.5-2 cm in diameter):

acerc-div01_160724a.jpg

The base (about 2-2.5 cm - an "inch" is 2.54 cm):

acerc-div01_160724b.jpg
Since I know from experience that root cuttings have a 95% rate of success, I was hoping that new shoots might pop up at some time, but I didn't expect the tree to put new leaves on the trunk.

Conclusion: never give up hope with a field maple - and in life.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice...

I was rolling cut 2ft sections of a tree in the woods yesterday looking for worms..

No leaves, no twigs, nothing...

But they were growing roots from the side in the dirt.

Trees are amazing!

Sorce

Top Bottom