A Score, Maybe?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That's awesome!
Got any pics of the leaves up close?

No, I was in a rush to post because I start midnights tonight and only took the few that I posted. I just noticed that I misspelled the title of the post, it is supposed to be score, not sore. Dang it!

The leaves are very small, maybe a quarter to 3/8 inch, dark green, and slightly serrated. I'll snap a picture tomorrow, I am gonna try to get them in some soil in the morning when I get home. The first picture actually has a few showing in it next to the beer bottle.

John

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah, I saw those few there....
I thought maybe it a slightly convex shape leaf, like ilex crenata....
But it probably is a yaupon...
I have a little dwarf crenata called "Soft Touch" which has a small leaf like yours...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where's that Midnight Mullet?

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yeah, I saw those few there....
I thought maybe it a slightly convex shape leaf, like ilex crenata....
But it probably is a yaupon...
I have a little dwarf crenata called "Soft Touch" which has a small leaf like yours...

Here's a better picture

IMG_20170320_070225.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Definitely Yaupon; I have quite a few. Some people say you can cut them back without leaving any leaves and they will back bud. I always leave at least a leaf or two and haven't had any issues. Nice find!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Wow, these were monsters, it took two hours to cut them back. I did not have time to put them into a pot, so I have them in a tub of water until the morning, hope they make it. I hate it when real life get in the way, gotta leave for work. I got good roots with all of them. I wish I could have gotten them all, there are probably 15 more, I just don't have the room and Mrs. Mullet would not be happy. She is real supportive, but I have just about filled the entire yard with trees. Just off of these three, I have half a trailer load of cuttings to haul off.

A shout-out to @bonsainut, could you please, if possible fix the title to the thread to "A Score", instead of "A Sore"? Thanks in advance.

Here is the smallest one, after trimming

DSC03176-1.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow, these were monsters, it took two hours to cut them back. I did not have time to put them into a pot, so I have them in a tub of water until the morning, hope they make it. I hate it when real life get in the way, gotta leave for work. I got good roots with all of them. I wish I could have gotten them all, there are probably 15 more, I just don't have the room and Mrs. Mullet would not be happy. She is real supportive, but I have just about filled the entire yard with trees. Just off of these three, I have half a trailer load of cuttings to haul off.

A shout-out to @bonsainut, could you please, if possible fix the title to the thread to "A Score", instead of "A Sore"? Thanks in advance.

Here is the smallest one, after trimming

View attachment 137562
@Bonsai Nut

Top Bottom