A Score, Maybe?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yes, they are quite large. I don't know what I will do with three of them, but I will figure something out. I wish I could have saved them all, but I had to go to work. There were about thirty of them. It would have been good workshop material.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice job with these! I love Yaupons one of my favorite trees to work on.

I love how they keep on growing, always something to work on with them!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Nice bases. I would have removed all the branching at collection. These things are tough. They're also not all that big ;-) I am at the northern edge of their hardiness zone, so I have been hesitant to get one. People grow them south of here in the Tidewater and such.

FWIW, Yaupon holly is Ilex vomitoria--yeah, as in vomit. Native Americans used it as an "emetic" to induce vomiting--which apparently back in the old days was a form of recreation. ;-)

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The leaves contain caffeine and is the only plant in the USA that is native with caffeine.

It is not an emetic though. They did use it in rituals, however the Yaupon tea isn't what actually caused the vomiting. The Cherokees refer to it as "the beloved tree."

The tea tastes great (to me at least) and has a taste similar to black tea.

You can purchase the tea prepared already right from good ole Texas, even restaurants serve it:

teadip_custom-471a9433ba23d119bca85a63b183922fd950169b-s800-c85.jpg

Don't eat the berries though, they will make you sick :cool:

Jerry Harder

Sapling
Reaction score
This sounds like a very interesting plant. I do bonsai and have been wandering if there were any caffeine plants in US. I am in Nebraska (zone 5) will they grow here? It seems I have figured out how to reply to a post, but havent figured out how to initiate one. Can anyone help?

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This sounds like a very interesting plant. I do bonsai and have been wandering if there were any caffeine plants in US. I am in Nebraska (zone 5) will they grow here? It seems I have figured out how to reply to a post, but haven't figured out how to initiate one. Can anyone help?

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To start a thread open a forum say "the tea house" or "tropicals" etc.......... on the top right there is a button to start a new thread, the button isn't huge so it may be easy to miss

They must be protected from freezing and naturally grow in marshy areas in nature. Also it's an evergreen.

They grow naturally in the dark spots on this map (zones 7a to 9b)

LyraEDISServlet

They like water and humidity. I'm not sure they will do so well in NE without a lot of work and definitely a good indoor set up.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This sounds like a very interesting plant. I do bonsai and have been wandering if there were any caffeine plants in US. I am in Nebraska (zone 5) will they grow here? It seems I have figured out how to reply to a post, but havent figured out how to initiate one. Can anyone help?

Hi Jerry;

Welcome to the site! To start a new thread:

(1) Go to the tab at the top of the web site page, and click on "Forums".
(2) You will be taken to a list of all the forums on the site. Pick an appropriate Forum, and click on it. For example, if you have questions about a Pine tree, click on the forum for "Pines". If you don't know what Forum to choose, just use the "General Discussion" Forum.
(3) When you click on the forum, you will see all the threads for that forum. At the top of the page you should see a button that says "start a new thread". Click that button, and you will be able to create a new thread to discuss your topic!

- Greg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
UPDATE on these:

Here is the group, they all grew well, but I had some dieback at tie, the leaves would start turning back and the whole branch would die. Not sure if it was fungal or root related. They were not potted up the best, I was working midnights when I acquired them and did not put my best effort into potting them.

DSC06768-1.jpg

First one, I thought I had taken more pictures of the finished work, but I didn't on this one, sometimes I just get lost in the project.

DSC06770-1.jpg

DSC06772-1.jpg

DSC06776-1.jpg

I had heard that these did not heal wounds well, but this one seems to be making a decent stab at it. It has almost healed the wound from the chain used to rip it out of the ground.

DSC06778-1.jpg

I am not real sure what I am gonna so with this one, it really has some bad branching. It may end up with just a helmet hairdo.

DSC06781-1.jpg

A word about weeds, if you see this one, terminate with extreme prejudice. Once you let it get going, it is impossible the eradicate. Anyone know the name?

Attachments

• DSC06771-1.jpg
    DSC06771-1.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 10

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Sorry about the thumbnail in the last post, hit the wrong button, must be the bourbon, lol.

Here is the middle tree, I think that it has the most potential.

DSC06782-1.jpg

It, too, seems to be healing well.

DSC06784-1.jpg

After a little trim

DSC06789-1.jpg

I like this angle best

DSC06787-1.jpg

The third one, I just left alone. It had the least growth, it is probably my fault, I was running low on bonsai soil supplies and it is potted in mostly potting soil. I hope to repot it into better media in a week or so.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update: I spent most of the afternoon working on these guys, here is my favorite one, I think it has the most potential.

I really should have moved the bald cypress off the work table before I took this picture.

Before:

DSC09165-1.jpg

Lots of trimming and lots of wire, trying to establish the framework for future growth and cut back to solid branches.

After:

DSC09208-1.jpg

DSC09211-1.jpg

DSC09214-1.jpg

DSC09218-1.jpg

DSC09221-1.jpg

DSC09222-1.jpg

I still haven't decided on a front, what do you guys, and gals, think? I could always put it in a round pot, lol...

Top Bottom