A Score, Maybe?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update: I spent most of the afternoon working on these guys, here is my favorite one, I think it has the most potential.

I really should have moved the bald cypress off the work table before I took this picture.

Before:

View attachment 189169

Lots of trimming and lots of wire, trying to establish the framework for future growth and cut back to solid branches.

After:

View attachment 189170

View attachment 189171

View attachment 189172

View attachment 189173

View attachment 189174

View attachment 189175

I still haven't decided on a front, what do you guys, and gals, think? I could always put it in a round pot, lol...
Nice job on this! I think you've got the bones of a good tree there.

I wish I could keep these things. I have friends only 45 miles south who have them (but they have a cold greenhouse)..

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is coming along nicely. I agree with Brian in the last picture as the front. It seems to present the best base, and it hides the long straight section of the largest trunk. I would consider removing the straight middle trunk this angle presents.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
These look like they are doing great congrats.

Makes me miss mine....I dug 4 up in 2014 and by 2018 all but 1 had died...I had the same issue with the black leaves and once it started they just never recovered.....I think is was to lack of water under the huge bases but it could have been cold as well. When the last one started to do the same I put it in the ground and it recovered well. I hope to get to dig some more they are all over North Ga.

Brian

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice MM. I have a couple I need to dig out of my side yard. May just be inspired to pot them up...
I’ve just never had long-term success growing these in pots.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great stuff. These look terrific! We don't have this species on the west coast, but I see them posted on here somewhat frequently. Nice material yields nice bonsai. Coming along nicely.

Top Bottom