A Scots Pine progression

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this tree from someone that had let it go for years, all the branches were facing up and there were many areas of swelling and other issues. The bark was great and the trunk was there though.

I spent the first year and 1/2 getting the tree healthy, I then eliminated a lot of branches especially near the top and changed the planting angle. Finally I styled it this summer. I believe I have had it now for 3 years.

C1971FD1-7D1A-446E-8076-61FC9C077906.png704094C6-5763-4C9A-ADA6-453E4D947465.jpeg

Last edited:

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Love the trunk on it! There seems to be to slight lean to the left. Do you plan to keep it at the angle it is at?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice save! I love a good couple drop branches, and it will grow like crazy next year. Scots are such a great tree to work with, so durable! I have found when you remove branches, they send out masses of buds.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this tree from someone that had let it go for years, all the branches were facing up and there were many areas of swelling and other issues. The bark was great and the trunk was there though.

I spent the first year and 1/2 getting the tree healthy, I then eliminated a lot of branches especially near the top and changed the planting angle. Finally I styled it this summer. I believe I have had it now for 3 years.

View attachment 262659View attachment 262660
Nice!

Can you bend that bottom left branch towards the viewer a bit?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

Can you bend that bottom left branch towards the viewer a bit?
Good eye, You’ve pinpointed the main spot I want to work on along with the apex on the next working. I can bend this branch with some really heavy wire and raffia. I’d like it to have a bit more movement.

Top Bottom