A Shohin display

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That I made at BIB
made the cover of the ABS Journal if the American Bonsai Society.

image.jpg

At BIB (Bay Island Bonsai), most of the members work in large trees. They may have a couple Shohin sized trees, but not enough to create an entire display. So, they bring them, and from all the trees, we can create a couple nice Shohin displays.

It has been my honor to create the displays for the past couple years. This one is the one I created in 2017.

The JBP on top is courtesy of John Kirby, as is the Camilla in the painted blue pot in bottom left.

Morgan Alexander owns the trident maple on the middle left. I keep it for him at my garden.

The olive in the yellow pot is my tree, which I obtained from my dear friend Jeanne Fujimoto. It was a gift to her from Sam Adina who has started more wonderful olives than anyone I know.

The bottom right tree is a Chojubai from Kenny Lam. It is just about to bloom, and in fact, on the second day of the show, many of the flower buds had opened just enough to show their red color.

Jose Gonzalez provided the semicascade Bittersweet that set the composition off nicely.

I always enjoy the challenge and opportunity of creating Shohin displays at BIB using trees that I can only wish were my own!

Top Bottom