A Short Video from the 4th US National Bonsai Exhibition...

johng

Omono
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;RUmpr3GO2Dk]http://youtu.be/RUmpr3GO2Dk[/video]

Thanks to Bill for suggesting I create this video and share with bonsai community. I hope that some of us will purchase the Commemorative Album to help him offset costs and bring a 5th US National Event in the future.

John

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great little teaser! The tree with the aluminum deadwood was pretty unique. Wonder how well received it was? The raccoons were a little cheesy in my opinion. Thanks for the peep show!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great little teaser! The tree with the aluminum deadwood was pretty unique. Wonder how well received it was? The raccoons were a little cheesy in my opinion. Thanks for the peep show!
That one belongs to Sean Smith, http://bonsai-bsf.com/?page_id=805 so the irony is delightful. I listened to Kathy Shaner's critique of this display, and tomorrow I'll try to share a bit...it was good, and she did take it seriously.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is the tree under discussion. To my eye, it was the most innovative /unconventional display there. This photo was lifted from Peter Waren's Facebook post. It's also in the 3:00 mark of the video in case my iOS8 prevents an upload.

From memory, here is what I recall of Kathy's comments. Maybe someone else who was in this group can fill in the blanks I missed?

Interesting theme. She asked what caught our eye first, which was obviously the metallic Jin. It needs a stronger tree to carry the theme. "The small trunk on the juniper against the massive metallic Jin is weak, like a 16-year-old girl hanging out with a biker gang."

Accent plant, if I recall, she wanted a bolder "jiita" than the one shown (hard to tell in the pix, but it's basically a disk of steel, with a spring coil around the edge). She said she wanted to see "tattoos" on the pot, something painted on it, and a stronger plant, spiky grass

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 32

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It just seems weird to me, we try to make bonsai look like trees... I have never seen a metal jinned tree.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From memory, here is what I recall of Kathy's comments. Interesting theme. She asked what caught our eye first, which was obviously the metallic Jin. It needs a stronger tree to carry the theme. "The small trunk on the juniper against the massive metallic Jin is weak, like a 16-year-old girl hanging out with a biker gang."

Accent plant, if I recall, she wanted a bolder "jiita" than the one shown (hard to tell in the pix, but it's basically a disk of steel, with a spring coil around the edge). She said she wanted to see "tattoos" on the pot, something painted on it, and a stronger plant, spiky grass

It doesn't sound she held back any on the critique..

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think John's video summarizes well the outstanding quality of this year's show and the breadth of the entire event. Needless to say all these trees looked even better in person.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great video John! Sean's tree generated a lot of discussion. Most of the people I talked to called it "interesting" and that's kind of how I felt about it. Not really my style, I'm glad there was only 1 like that, but it was interesting. Love Kathy's comments.

There were at least 2 or 3 trees that had animal figurines in them. The raccoons were on Andy Smith's spruce (I'm pretty sure it was his). I didn't think they added anything but others disagreed. And Bill Valavanis had a partridge in his pear tree. Several of us were joking that someone must have sneaked that in there when he wasn't looking.

Chris

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That one belongs to Sean Smith, http://bonsai-bsf.com/?page_id=805 so the irony is delightful. I listened to Kathy Shaner's critique of this display, and tomorrow I'll try to share a bit...it was good, and she did take it seriously.

I went back and looked at that display a few times, I liked it a lot,
The reactions of people were pretty extreme, they either loved it or hated it

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The metallic jin tree reminded me of the movie.... "How the Grinch Stole Christmas..."

Brian

Reaction score
I know Sean very well, he has been doing bonsai for almost as
Long as Bill V has and makes some very awesome stands for
Both trees and stones. I personally think it is awesome that
He did the tree. As an artist I am always glad to see new
Approaches to doing things, and.I am glad to see boundaries
Being tested, it means for me that we are moving away from
Just copying art to creating art.

Now, with that said, I don't think everyone needs to worry that
The next new thing in bonsai is going to be silver jins... I have
A feeling that this is not going to catch on. However, I am glad
That it was done, and that it was taken seriously by Kathy. I
Think her critique sounds as though she actually was being
Serious. If one begins to create an alternative world for.a tree,
So to speak, the story it tells still must be consistent all the way
Through, and one must still take into account that the viewer,
However off the wall the story is, is still going to bring in their own
Personal reflections so as to come to terms with and understand
What is being told.

So, one might agree that a tattoo motif on the pot might have been
A nice choice. The jin at the bottom is way to heavy, and should
Of been reduced in mass, perhaps hollowed out. The design of the
Foliage, seems all wrong and does not at least for me work with
The perameters he has set up. I would like to see more of an off
The wall design. The accent plant looks very.happy and lovely, warm
And fuzzy, in total contrast to the cold of the jin, steel and highly
Lacquered pot.

Again, what ever your intentions are as an artist, and what ever it is you
Vision you want to show the world, it still must adhere to the rules
That you are setting up, and must be consistent and fluid.all the way
Through.

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
The metallica tree didn't appeal to me but I certainly appreciated the effort....that had to be a ton of work..the tree, the pot, the stand! On the other hand, I really liked the pot that Bill used which had a large crack repaired with gold...no pics sorry!

Thanks for the feedback guys... As I knew photographs were not allowed, I did not come prepared and was surprised, and honored, that Bill asked me to put together a short video...all of it was shot with my iPhone and no tripod...sorry:( I look forward to Bjorn's video...he had the right equipment!

John

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did love this tree Bill. I am very fond of peartrees for some reason! How was this bonsai created? Collected, seedling...??

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That pear tree is beautiful,the bark is very small plates, I went back to that a few times

johng

Omono
Reaction score
A partridge in the pear tree! Plus another for the accessory.

Bill

Thanks Bill! That is also the pot I was speaking of with the gold repair! Very nice. I have to admit that I also wondered if one of the crew was playing a joke on you Bill:)

John

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
No joke! We looked all around for a small partridge to put INTO the pear tree. Finally found a small bird and had Alan Adair paint it to look like a partridge. Yes, I know having the small bird in the tree plus the ceramic partridge accessory is repetitive. But I did it, and like it too. Had lots of fun.

The tree was started as a grafted tree in a nursery and I've been training it in a container for over 15 years. It is a Robinson Contorted Bradford Pear, Pyrus calleryana 'Robinson'

Stiple

Sapling
Reaction score
Maybe the aluminum tree would have been better received if it were in copper. Maybe electroform/electroplate it to a jin.

It would be really outrageous to have wire fused in and coming out of the copper section..

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Loving that pear seriously. Folks art is subjective...while figurines in general are not my cup of tea I had great appreciation for the display.

Top Bottom