A shout out of thanks to Neli with her vert...lilac

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Not sure how many here are affiliated with Facebook. But there is an amazing group there that is called "Bonsai School". Neli gives amazing lessons on how to handle specific things in bonsai...you must pass tests and such to have her critique a tree. (I was so honored Neli...to have my tree offered up for a vert from you...the time and such you put into my post and tree was greatly appreciated. )

But...I was fortunate to see a post offering help with a tree to the first person who hadn't had a tree styling. Which I qualified for.

So when I purchased this tree...I had originally thought...twin trunk. But...she seen through the obvious...the photos are backwards...the last one is the front. Working up the list of pictures as I turn it 1/4 of a turn.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg Thinking after I remove the left trunk...I may have to turn it a tad to hide the scar...not sure what I will end up with once it's done and healed. Maybe the roots may look gnarly...but if I need...I can turn it a slight bit.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Yep she's awesome. Would you believe she started in 2012? I have never known anyone to come so far so fast. True talent.

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
..of removing later and leaving it to help thicken the trunk to the other.
Darlene, the trunks don't look like they are connected so I don't believe you will get any thickening on the trunk you want to keep by leaving the other on in place. However, it's hard to tell in the photos so maybe they are in fact connected. The Van Meer Technique is something I'm going to have to try. Very cool!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I asked that too when showing a close up...but I don't think she seen that post yet. Another said it should still thicken the other trunk. Wasn't sure if it was because they looked fused together or what. Neli has not got back to me. But if it is from a separate trunk...then, I don't see it helping either.

I have not looked at your link yet...spending time with the hubby tonight. Just popped on when he ran to do something.

Reactions: Vin

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny thing. I started a Facebook account the other day and shut it down yesterday. I had people I didn't know coming out of the woodwork asking to be my friend. They were on me like bums on a baloney sandwich. Got the hell out of there and never going back. Do people live on there?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mike you can block those people...they are gamers and hackers I imagine...or...if you had a few friends...friends of those friends. Depending on your account settings if you have it set high you get far less...if you don't allow your wall to be seen by the public. Then you forgo all that nonsense for the most part.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Neli gave me some great advice on the left trunk...I will see what repot brings...and go from there. :cool:

can be a sucker , why not try to pull it apart with some roots during repot. They might separate without scars? Option two is to use the wedge method, option 3 is to jin it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike you can block those people...they are gamers and hackers I imagine...or...if you had a few friends...friends of those friends. Depending on your account settings if you have it set high you get far less...if you don't allow your wall to be seen by the public. Then you forgo all that nonsense for the most part.
I like the sentence"if you had a few friends". Funny because my wife asked "who wants to be friends with you"
I resemble both of those remarks! I'm trying to be more sociable but the rest of the world may not be ready.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the sentence"if you had a few friends". Funny because my wife asked "who wants to be friends with you"
I resemble both of those remarks! I'm trying to be more sociable but the rest of the world may not be ready.

lol Well I wasn't sure how far in you were in...if you had not established friends in your group or not.(Not meaning you had little friends lol) Good for you for wanting to become more social. But, if your affiliated with any groups...I would suggest you get to know ones before just adding them onto your friend list. Just because I'm that way...to many crazies in the world.

I've got to the point I am trying to be selective. Since my wall is a bit more personal...I have tried to thin my friend list...and have to a point. I feel bad...but, I have been ignoring friend requests as of late...because I can talk with those people in a group we are affiliated with. Without becoming "friends"...but if I end up establishing a more friend bases than acquaintance...they I will add them.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Since I had gleamed a bit of valuable information off of Mr. Walter Pall's blog on lilac. I thought to correspond with him on the subject matter of how they take to root pruning. I also attached this link since it had photos of my material and also the virt as to a possible direction to take my lilac.

I was honored he found time in surely a busy schedule to answer back with a reply. Which also gave me a direction on how I should proceed.

I think you should cut back your shrub by 80 %- Yes what's left will be only 20% of the overall length. Then let gow again to present size. And cut back again. Do this five times (five growing seasons) and then you will have reasonable material which can be truned into a good bonsai. After it is styled an has rest fo0r a vegetation perood you can ruthlessly cut back the roots and plant it into a nice pot. This will be eight years from now. Such is bonsai. That's the professional method. To go on like you have is amateuerish.

That said...the mention of dealing with the roots after years past. I was unclear...the rule I've heard ones say...about removing the top you should also remove some of the roots. I was puzzled if I was quite grasping what he was saying...or as it an unforeseen rule that one just worked roots just not ruthlessly since I was going to chop off 80% of the top.

I questioned my ability to grasp what he wrote...I finally asked him if lilacs didn't apply to the rule of removing roots along with the top of a tree. Or...if I misunderstood and I was to actually slightly do root work.

His reply back...was quite enlightening!

Darlene,

It is better to not work on the roots for a few years. The trick is that the roots are built for a large bush. When you cut that bush back the tree has too many roots. This is good! It then will correct itself very quickly, throwing lots of new shoots. Not you balance the tree - the tree balances itself. What you read about balancing is by and large a myth.
You can publish my answers in your thread if you like.

You can see he gave me permission to quote his correspondence. Which I was humbled...once again to have gleamed his knowledge on such mediocre material at best. But...what I took from this will go far in my walk with bonsai.

Again Mr.Pall...humble and grateful for your knowledge and time you took in sharing it with me. Thank You.

Top Bottom