A Small Kingsville Boxwood

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
This one did not really need a repot since I had done it this spring, but, I was not happy with the way the soil was draining and it did not seem a healthy as it used to be.

This is what I started out with. I have been training it to resemble a "live oak".

kingsville3.jpg

The old soil removed and the roots combed out. This is less than one year's growth on the roots. It seems that the roots grow faster than the top on this species.

kingsville2.jpg

Trimmed

kingsville1.jpg

I did not get a chance to take a picture of the final product as I was smoking a Boston but on the grill too and ran out of daylight. I put it back in the same pot and it looks pretty much the same as the first picture, maybe potted a little higher.

What do you think?

Thanks,

John Lee

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yes they are, I like the contrast with the white roots and the dark foliage, too bad they can't show all of the time. I usually only repot every other year and the roots will have encircled the pot several times.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Smoking a boston but------hmmm think I won't ask;)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I don't know anything about the legality of grilling pork in Colorado, LOL, but it turned out really tasty, I smoked it for about 5 hours. Gonna make sloppy joes out out of the leftovers. Here in Alabama, Boston butt=pork.

Thanks for the comments on the tree. I hope get it into a shallower pot over the next couple of repots.

John

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with the shallower pot idea. Mine looks ever so much better after I put one under mine. They can take a very drastic root pruning without skipping a beat. I would also look at thinning a bit of the foliage next spring to get some light into the interior to get some new budding started inside.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
UPDATE:

It was time for another repot, so I went ahead and did it.

Here is what I started with
DSC02595-1.jpg

I wish the top grew as good as the roots. There was about 2 feet of them when I combed them out.

DSC02597-1.jpg

DSC02598-1.jpg

Finished product. I repositioned some of the limbs to make it look more oak-like. What do you think?

DSC02600-1.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update: Nothing fancy, just another repot. This one grows very little up top, but makes up for it in root growth. Trying to make it look like a southern live oak, if not, maybe a Dr Suess tree, either way, I kinda like it. Mrs. Mullet got me the pot, it was made by a local potter out of local clay from right here in the Mobile County.

Before the work:

DSC08026-1.jpg

A look under the hood:

DSC08028-1.jpg

DSC08029-1.jpg

Cleaned up the root ball:

DSC08031-1.jpg

Back in the pot:

DSC08032-1.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The more I hang out here, the more I like boxwood as bonsai. Great work, thanks for sharing! Got a pic from above that you are willing to share?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Sorry, MM. That was an unclear request. Do you have a picture taken from above that tree to share in this thread?. I'm trying to learn branch placement. Seeing the trees from above is helpful.

Oh, OK, not right now, but I will take one tomorrow.

Top Bottom