A small literati Satsuki

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
This is my small literati/mother daughter satsuki azalea. I purchased this from Dave Kreutz as a 3-year-old imported whip in 2008. The whip came in a small 4x4x8 inch plastic pot. I knew I wanted to make a literati/mother daughter design at the time because Dave was showing me Japanese satsuki show books, and there were lots of trees in this style.

So I wired some movement in my whip so it wasn't growing straight up, and cut all the lower branches except for one to be the daughter. In spring of 2009 I potted this into a big plastic pot with 100% large sized kanuma and a small layer of yamagoki moss on top. I let the tree grow for several years, letting it grow out and cutting back when needed. In fall of 2011 I did some wiring to set the main branches of the mother tree, and put movement into the daughter tree. I repotted it in Spring of 2012 into a tokonome training pot, since I was starting to get satisfied with the thickness of the trunk.

When I got the tree as a whip, the trunk size was smaller than the thickness of a pencil. After growing it in 100% large-sized kanuma (with a layer of yamagoki) in a grow pot, and by not letting it flower, the trunk got to be as thick as my ring finger in the 3 years it had been developing it.

The earliest photo I have from this tree is the first time I let it flower in my training, which was 2013. Photos 1 and 2 were taken in May 2013 while the tree flowered for the first time in my care. Photo 3 was taken the same day after I removed all the flowers. Photo 4 was taken in the fall of 2013, before fall work was done.

The tree grew a couple more years, and some more wiring was done. In March of 2015 (this year), the tree was repotted into a Sonny Boggs pot, shown in photo 5. I was very happy with how the tree was progressing, and wanted to get it into a beautiful looking pot so I can start getting it ready to show in a couple years. The pot that its in isn't the show pot, its too deep for a show pot, but its the right sized diameter of a pot that I'm looking for to show it in.

I should add, the tree is now about as thick as my thumb at the base.

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMGP2877.jpg
    IMGP2877.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMGP3732.jpg
    IMGP3732.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 92

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Last weekend my dad have Dave Kreutz over to help work on all our azaleas. I wasn't able to come home this fall due to a busy performing schedule on the east coast, so my father and Dave worked on my azaleas. While my dad's project was the hollow trunk in my other post, Dave worked on this tree. It was meticulously brushed and cleaned up for the winter. Dave also did some wiring on this tree, which you can see in the photos. The rest of the tree is going to be wired in the spring when it starts pushing. I've been really happy with how this tree is coming, and I can't wait to show it in a couple years.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 85

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Also I should add two things:

This tree is a little top heavy for a literati. This was intentional, to give the flowers a little bit bigger of a stage for when they do flower. Also since the tree is half literati, half mother-daughter, I wanted the mother to look more full.

The variety is Hoshi-no-Kagayaki

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice little tree, and the flowers may be the most vibrant red color I've seen on a Satsuki. Good pot pairing, too... maybe a smidge deep, but not bad at all.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have one much like it. They're fun.

Attachments

• 3_11_SMA.JPG
    3_11_SMA.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 68

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is a little top heavy for a literati. This was intentional, to give the flowers a little bit bigger of a stage

I am a Libra.
And I find this to be a good reason, a righteous balance.
Time can only make it better!

Really pretty!

Sorce

Top Bottom