A Spruce named "Coltrane"

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
20160924_140730.jpg 20160924_140713.jpg Named after an Artist who changed my Life. I saw this Spruce over a month ago and It has been in my dreams since. It tells a story of Transcending Harsh Times and Embracing Life. Collecting this Gem was a Struggle reminding me that Priceless Things come when We are Close to Penniless.
I Present to You "Coltrane" .

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The foliage doesn't look like spruce in the pictures. Looks more like some kind of juniper.
Could you post a picture of the foliage please?
Whatever it is couldn't you wait until spring to collect it? Winters coming.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I will post a pic of the foliage later. I read or was told that fall was an acceptable season to collect conifers, yet there's always conflicting information floating around. I hope it makes it , I really like this tree.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I thought that junipers had more os a scale like needle. Well I do know it's not a Yew.

Attachments

• 20160924_210304.jpg
    20160924_210304.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 34

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Oh well a Juniper named Coltrane. If I don't kill it over the winter, Coltrane will probably out Live me. I love the Character of this Tree.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Now I'm thinking with as many junipers growing in my collecting areas, this spring I could get a bunch of cuttings and when they root. Cheap Pot Mallsai $40.00 a Pop.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Now I'm thinking with as many junipers growing in my collecting areas, this spring I could get a bunch of cuttings and when they root. Cheap Pot Mallsai $40.00 a Pop.
A few of the really high quality trees I've purchased this year have been zero money out of pocket, but money from selling cuttings and saplings to my local club. It's a great way to make some extra money!

Aaron

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
View attachment 117924 View attachment 117925 Named after an Artist who changed my Life. I saw this Spruce over a month ago and It has been in my dreams since. It tells a story of Transcending Harsh Times and Embracing Life. Collecting this Gem was a Struggle reminding me that Priceless Things come when We are Close to Penniless.
I Present to You "Coltrane" .

OMG did I really just read that ...?

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Yeah I reckon You Did Marie. I'm one of those kinda Bonsai Nuts!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Funny how some want to name their trees.

I mean, I understand that, but it never comes to my mind.

Thinking of it, I can imagine some of my trees in a composition named "Monk's archipelago". I like the breaks in rhythm...

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
About 80% of my trees have names. I think that way from some reason. That Composition by Monk is very fitting. The name had came to me, and then a coworker posted that it was Coltrane's 90th birthday so it seemed meant to be.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
About 80% of my trees have names. I think that way from some reason. That Composition by Monk is very fitting. The name had came to me, and then a coworker posted that it was Coltrane's 90th birthday so it seemed meant to be.

Well, I have dozens, if not hundreds of seedlings, "potted trees", "potential bonsai", "bonsai-to-be", etc.

Maybe if I had a few that were worth being given a name...

But I'm only learning yet, and I wouldn't have some of them being given a name, I've killed so many... ^^

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Well, I have dozens, if not hundreds of seedlings, "potted trees", "potential bonsai", "bonsai-to-be", etc.

Maybe if I had a few that were worth being given a name...

But I'm only learning yet, and I wouldn't have some of them being given a name, I've killed so many... ^^
You could call them victim 1,2,3,...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To me, (one of) the best:

I really love how Thelonious Monks places chords, and the way he breaks rhythm...

Top Bottom