A squirrel attacked and stole my tree

Joshua

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I go on my fire escape to water my trees. To my surprise my 4 fukien cuttings that had just rooted are gone, and the soil is disheveled. Some very kind words were yelled. I had over to the 2 ficus to check the soil, first one looks good, needs to be watered. Go to pick up the second one and I notice one of the branches is kind of hanging funny. When I move it I notice three branches are missing and there are gouge marks, and again I yell some very nice words. 20130522_132302.jpg20130522_132250.jpg20130522_132240.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Sounds like you need larger trees.

Sure it wasn't pigeons?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Squirrels did this to me too. They have taken big chunks out of a few of my trees. I too yelled some nice words.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It must be a NY "squirrel attitude" thing. The yard rats in my neck of the woods here in FL know better.

Course, it may be my two pitbulls that roam my bonsai area too. ;)

If that doesn't deter them, I dispatch them with lead poisoning...

Troy

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
2 words

Stinky Fertilizer

2 more

Green Dream

Brooklyn squirrels are a menac they have no fear and for your information its illegal to kill them here. Last year I used Chicken screening on seedlings but its not necessary. Back in 2003 i tried rat traps (no luck they just stole the bait), encouraging my cats to chase them (cats ran away in terror), super soaker water gun (mildly effective but only momentarily), modified electricution device (i ended up shocking muself), rat poison mixed with peanut butter which is illegal but they would potentially crawl off and die elsewhere (this worked). Order green dream, even if you don't use it on your trees put some in a cup near them. No more squirrels on your trees. Not sure if the rosé society fertilizer also does this but I think it does as they do not go anywhere near my trees and I haven't used green dream since real early spring. If it rains empty the cup and put a new small amount in a cup. It's the fresh stink that keeps them away!

Joshua

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
2 words

Stinky Fertilizer

2 more

Green Dream

Brooklyn squirrels are a menac they have no fear and for your information its illegal to kill them here. Last year I used Chicken screening on seedlings but its not necessary. Back in 2003 i tried rat traps (no luck they just stole the bait), encouraging my cats to chase them (cats ran away in terror), super soaker water gun (mildly effective but only momentarily), modified electricution device (i ended up shocking muself), rat poison mixed with peanut butter which is illegal but they would potentially crawl off and die elsewhere (this worked). Order green dream, even if you don't use it on your trees put some in a cup near them. No more squirrels on your trees. Not sure if the rosé society fertilizer also does this but I think it does as they do not go anywhere near my trees and I haven't used green dream since real early spring. If it rains empty the cup and put a new small amount in a cup. It's the fresh stink that keeps them away!

Beng do you live down Union near prospect Park?

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
He is probably trying to figure out which way to send the squirrels.....

geoff hobson

Seedling
Reaction score
squirrels

Well, they were there before we were so I suppose they have a right to dig up your trees. Joke. It is unfortunate but that is life, and if things that attract wildlife are around then they will be vulnerable. I sat and watched a bird taking moss from one of my trees, then I went out and replaced it. I usually cover my trees with netting to stop the birds taking nesting material, but for got this year,

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
May I suggest a couple or few mouse traps conveiniently placed about your plants.

Beng are you part of the Yamma Ki club?

Top Bottom