A stupid (or even dangeorous) newbie trick?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had problems to purchase classic japanese sealers, and I am (stupidly) a bit too much concerned about the aesthetics of the sealed trees
So a year ago, I decided to use children's plasticine, mixed with cinnamon (fungic agent), mixing different colors to match the trunk color. After a year using it on deciduous, tropicals, conniferes,...I have no regrets and it seems to work fine.....

IMG_20220619_163803.jpg
I only bought those three colors, but usually it's better (in an aesthetics way) than a grey or green sealer. For instance this fulkien tea was really full of scars after styling....

IMG_20220618_202906 (2).jpg

So, have I been stupid, or maybe sealers are not that important ? (anyway I have a lot of "sealer" for 2$)

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I mixed gorilla Woodglue with sawdust and that seemed to work fine to seal a cut that will later be removed from a chop.

If you've used it for a year successfully why would it be dangerous? Sounds like it's doing the trick. Cut paste is to prevent moisture loss and keep infection out. KISS principle says you're fine.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice. I’ve used minwax brand wood putty. one natural and one dark walnut color to mix with cut paste for lighter or darker.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've used Elmer's wood glue mixed with like 1/3 tea (water) and baker's cocoa/cinnamon. a bunch of coats..

Looked pretty nice..

The tree died.. but that was unrelated.

😂😂

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So, have I been stupid, or maybe sealers are not that important
As you can see, lots of different sealers used. I have done trials and it appears that sealer does help cambium to grow quicker to heal cuts. I suspect it is related to keeping the emerging callus damp/out of sun rather than the brand or type.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As you can see, lots of different sealers used. I have done trials and it appears that sealer does help cambium to grow quicker to heal cuts. I suspect it is related to keeping the emerging callus damp/out of sun rather than the brand or type.
There are folks who swear by "Rich Mud" for varying species and re-apply when necessary for 2-3 weeks. This is mostly on "rapid healing trees", like Ulmus, and more for simply SEALING..

But it really drives...
As you can see, lots of different sealers used.
...THIS point home.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
appears that sealer does help cambium to grow quicker to heal cuts.

I have also attempted such trials... and came to similar conclusions, basically, across the board.

So now I just seal, SOMEHOW, almost every cut i make.

Top Bottom