A Tale of Two Elms

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you happen to plant any root cuttings while you were at it?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is the victim, err, subject:

View attachment 178306

View attachment 178307

All of the old soil cleaned out. I planted this one on a tile so i got some pretty flat roots. It is a little lacking on one side, but hopefully the smaller roots will catch up.

View attachment 178308

View attachment 178309

Trimmed to fit in the pot:

View attachment 178310

View attachment 178311

All potted up:

View attachment 178312
What’s your soil mix? And where do you get it?

I have Akadama a shot last year. It didn’t hold up at all in my climate. Everything that was planted in it needs repotted now. I’ve been debating BonsaiJacks inorganic mix, but I’ve not heard much about it. Thinking that or just pumice perlite and bark.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

I have Akadama a shot last year. It didn’t hold up at all in my climate. Everything that was planted in it needs repotted now. I’ve been debating BonsaiJacks inorganic mix, but I’ve not heard much about it. Thinking that or just pumice perlite and bark.

Bonsai jack is a good mix but it's a good starting point, I always add to it per tree requirments in my area

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

I have not used Bonsai Jacks soil. Mine lava, Nappa 8822, and fir bark; 2:2:1 ratio. The Nappa is new as I can't get pumice anymore.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bonsai jack is a good mix but it's a good starting point, I always add to it per tree requirments in my area
What do you mix it with? I was thinking of mixing it with my own bark or even perlite.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What do you mix it with? I was thinking of mixing it with my own bark or even perlite.

Perlite is a nightmare in a bonsai mix - it'll float about and out of the pot. I'd steer clear :).

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Perlite is a nightmare in a bonsai mix - it'll float about and out of the pot. I'd steer clear :).
I’ve had great experience using it, just not mixed in a refined Bonsai mix. 50/50 bark perlite is IMO the best and cheapest soil for growing out trees, I actually have my shimpaku planted in it now.

I’m just gonna give Jacks a shot I guess.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update:

Here is what I started with at the beginning of this season. I was hoping to get this into a nice pot that I picked out, but due to a recent tragedy that has struck my family, I simply did not have a chance to get it repotted. So, last night, after taking care of some things, I trimmed this one up as a little therapy.

It had some really heavy branches up top and I felt it was too "wide" so I thinned out the top and chased some of the growth in. After I see where it comes out, I may chase it in farther. Also, the leaves are a lot smaller this, which is awesome, I think. What do you think?

John

Before :

View attachment 98077

View attachment 98078

View attachment 98079

View attachment 98080

View attachment 98081

You had me at CHEEZ-IT box for scale. Your yard/trees/benches look great by the way...makes mine look like a dumpster fire.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

bark, akadama, compost, sphagnum it really depends on the species and what stage of development.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great trees....in the future make sure you compare all tree sizes with beer of some variety......beer is the universal bonsai size comparison basis......didnt you know that.....
Go to any show they will tell you Mame is half a beer can....Shohin a regular beer can etc.....come on get with the programme!

Lol once again great trees...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Soak it in water for a few hours and mix it into your other components afterwards... There will be minimal floating done that way...

Grimmy

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use the BonsaiJack Bonsai Block substrate. Very happy with use. I mix with some Farfard Aged Pine Bark.

Top Bottom