A tree that fits in your hand

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my Spirea - the leaves have dropped. Does this look like a tree ? I look at it all the time and can't even tell anymore. If it doesn't look good, I will cut it back ruthlessly this spring and start the branching again. It is done in a kind of naturalistic style I guess, but I just went with what the tree gave me. Let me know your opinions, please.

Attachments

• 700.jpg
    700.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 223

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say this does look like a tree, but it is more of a natural oak style. Not my favorite style at all, but some like it. If it were mine I would cut it back and re-design it solely based on my preference against this style. But if you like it...keep it.

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I think it does look like a natural oak styled tree, and I really like this style. I would keep it the way it is. If you want to work on something, then work on the nebari.

Redwing

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is very nice, and very tree-like. Perhaps your dissatisfaction comes from the thumb-and-forefinger open space created by two right-side branches? Simply pruning off and refashioning the innermost of these two so that it moves along with the outer might resolve that concern.

-rw

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good points, all. Root work next spring by grafting cuttings to the base. Redwing, you are right, thanks for pointing that out. I will rework the right hand branch this spring as well. Thanks for the good advice.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Grow the middle branch out to define an apex, and keep everything else trimmed back to give your new apex some strength to grow out. I don't believe Spirea are apicably dominant. It'll look like a nice broom style which is very Japanese and not just natural style whatever that is.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a very nice spreading oak type plant. I wouldn't do anything to change the design of what you have going. I definately wouldn't grow a leader and wouldn't try to make the tree do something that it obviously likes doing.

Discussion is giving me a headache...I need an aspirin;)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DT, I like it very much. The pot color with the tree I could live with out, but I'm sure its a training pot...right?;)

My 2cents is that I think the secondary branching needs to be pruned back a to develop some more refined ramification. Unlike Al I would let the center trunk/leader run on a bit to fatten it up. For me visually the center looks weak and the outer branches overwhelm it. By thickening this up it will crate a spine/central weight so to speak for your image.

Great job so far, thanks for sharing

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Tom, and you are right, the leader is a bit weak. The pot is really not that bad ! It is darker than the photo reveals and was chosen to complement the fall color.

Attachments

• 606.jpg
    606.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 76

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
It looks like a tree to me, too; but there's also something that says "shrub" IMO.

I would suggest either:
1) develop a distinguishable leader--not overwhelmingly dominant, but first-among-equals sort of thing; or,
2) accentuate the wandering-all-over-the-sky movement of the branches, to strengthen the oak impression.

Top Bottom