A Tribute to JKL; Gone, But Not So Easily Forgotten..

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fellow Bonsai Nuts,

I thought we all could benefit by remembering Jim (JKL) with some of the many pointed quotes he had made in the past. His guiding hands helped us along our journey and we are better for it but his quotes are priceless. NOTE: Some have been edited from longer quotes for the sake of brevity.

I believe his last post on Bonsai Nut was on March 9, 2016 and he was talking about his International Bonsai subscription. It reads: “Got mine. Kinda sad, as I am not renewing.” Kind of sad for me as well.

Please enjoy the rest:

FWIW and IMHO, NO evergreen deserves an illustrated pot, and for the most part no bonsai wants to be planted in one. Feb 15, 2016

MUCH too early for that or any other bonsai pot. Feb 15, 2016

I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like. Jan 1, 2016

Last I heard, that was/is the goal for juried shows. Otherwise, just stand by your tree and fart each time they pass by. Jan 1, 2016

That works for private viewing and maybe at an informal show, but for more serious settings, there tend to BE rules. It's called "tradition." Dec 31, 2015

Yes, you CAN plant in a metal pot, but aside from the "gee whiz" factor or the "look-what-I've-done" glow, why would you want to do it? But if it gives you that big thrill, go ahead. Dec 31, 2016

That may be the silliest answer I've seen here. Dec 29, 2015

That's good, but a bit of gentle education is called for. Dec 26, 2015

Mmmm. Did you even LOOK at the last picture? Dec 25, 2015

I am reluctant to give too much help to someone who doesn't appear to have tried to help himself. Dec 24, 2015

I'm glad for you. My experience in a rather long lifetime in bonsai has been different. Maybe we can see a picture of this sterling tree? Dec 23, 2015

Apologies for all the typos. My fingers have gone on strike these days. Dec 23, 2015

And don't forget the gun-toting park ranger. Dec 16, 2015

PPPPpffffft! Dec 15, 2015

It has been around for a while. Not rocket science. Dec 15, 2015

It would be very nice if people would only recommend procedures that have actually done -- with or without success. Dec 15, 2015

Yes. Your inexperience is clearly showing. Dec 15, 2015

Extremely stupid idea! Dec 9, 2015

It would make a pot, I suppose, but "nice?" I dunno. Dec 8, 2015

Do you really see a hint of a bonsai in there? Dec 5, 2016

HOW can you stomach Guiness from a CAN????? HOW? Nov 28, 2015

You're putting the pot before the horse. Nov 26, 2015

From one great granddad to another: HUZZAH! Nov 22, 2015

If you're wondering if it's potbound, it probably isn't. Nov 21, 2015

Can we stop beating this dead horse/bonsai now? Please? Nov 21, 2015

Lordy! What a bunch of reactionaries we have here. upload_2016-6-7_15-38-32.pngNov 21, 2015

Hawgwash. Nov 20, 2015

YYYYYAAAAAWWWWWNNNNN!!!!!! Nov 19, 2015

It is NOT the end of the world when a tree dies (and for some sticks in pots it may be a blessing). Nov 18, 2015

I have to say here that those who want to make bonsai cheaply are really spitting into the wind. Cheap tree, plus cheap pot equals I-don't-want-to-look-at-it bonsai. Nov 4, 2015

I've been known to sit on my porch with my autoharp, guitar or banjo and wail "the Wreck of the Ol' 97" at my trees. Cain't do that no more, alas. Nov 3, 2015

Depends on your definition of "bonsai," I guess. Oct 30, 2015

I call mine "fingers." Oct 27, 2015

I guess I'll sleep through the World Series this year. I can't think of two teams I care less about. Oct 24, 2015

Works for me. Haven't sat thru a "home movie of my vacation" in years. Oct 24, 2015

Booooooooo. Oct 22, 2015

A simple quote . . . followed by Bull S--T! will do just as well. Oct 21, 2015

The answer is obviously, yes but that depends on how patient and how skilled you are. Oct 18, 2015

Sorry, but I'm not impressed by that shrub. Oct 18, 2015

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I met him at the NC Expo a couple years back. Or, rather, I saw him there. It wasn't until he posted something about the show that I put 2 and 2 together and figured out who he was.

RIP JKL.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of my interaction with Jim was over at the IBC. He always had some "choice" words for me.;)
I'll remember when he said of my Raintree; "That's probably the best BRT in NH."
Hehehee....there is probably not many, if any. Good left-handed comment....I enjoyed it!
This is for Jim, and all veterans out there......not sure if he was in the service, but I'm sure he'd appreciate the image.:)
hsiwojimaflaglrg2.gif

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
oh wow, how sad!
I hope his trees live on for a loooong time

Reactions: Vin

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Wow... no quotes to add but Jim started giving me crap when I first found IBC around 1999. He loved the little trees and always had a unique style. He could be the most abrasive SOB on God's green earth but he knew his stuff and kept sharing for many years. An example of his contribution to bonsai is an article on Red Maple I posted a while ago that you can find on Brent's site:
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/redmaple.htm

RIP Jim

Top Bottom