A Twin Trunk Sierra Juniper

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Tough. I like the individual trunks better in the second front, but the interplay between the two is better in the first front. The first front appears to be falling away from the viewer, so I would want to tilt it forward, then shorten the right trunk significantly, so that the shari of the left trunk becomes the frame for the foliage on the right trunk.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'll need to withhold judgement until the grafting process is done, but I like what I can see of the more detailed rootage in the 2nd picture... will need to see the tree without pots hanging from it to be sure.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally I like the the first front. Altgought I prefer the native foliage, because it is the origin of the tree. The foliage which survived rough winter storms and hot dry summers and likely intense high elevation lightning storms...... but that is me.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shimpaku foliage survives all those things, too.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Personally I like the the first front. Altgought I prefer the native foliage, because it is the origin of the tree. The foliage which survived rough winter storms and hot dry summers and likely intense high elevation lightning storms...... but that is me.

I enjoy working with native foliage. I made the choice to graft shimpaku for a number of reasons. First it was practical. It needed to be grafted to execute the plan of building a smaller tree. Lots of lush whips available but zero Sierra whips. I could grow from cutting or attempt scion trunk grafts, but both of those plans would have added years to get this tree to the point it is today. Second, kishu just looks really good to me on this size tree. On larger trees, the coarser native foliage is excellent, but on small to medium sized trees I like the kishu better.

S

Top Bottom