A Very Nice Surprise

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
A few months ago a number of new trees came to me as one friend and mentor passed away, and another had an unexpected move that caused a significant downsizing for him. One tree he gave to me is a Zuisho white pine that he had just repotted into a pot owned by our friend who had passed. As neither of them had ever been too concerned with high end pottery I hadn’t given it much thought aside from enjoying its beautiful lines. Last night I spent a few hours with this tree thinking about how to handle it next season. I decided to take a look for a chop, and to my surprise it appears to be an “Antique Mirror” style made by first generation Yamaaki potter Kataoka Akitsugu. This pot is about 16” across, and although I don’t know it’s value, it is quite likely the most valuable pot in my collection. The tree has some flaws that will be take some creativity to maximize its potential, but hopefully I can do it justice.
566C94FB-7F31-40E2-82DC-B298A3050DBD.jpegB89C4CD5-0AAC-43AC-B4F1-0A0DAA4CA5A2.jpegA3EFD9B0-4DCB-4AB8-AA5C-7CFDCCD539FE.jpeg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really like that pot, your tree is nice also, I think that they go well together and are a nice way to remember their previous owners. Good job!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Really nice pot. How about a side view shot of the pot to get a better sense of the color. The lip is nice. I like the wide lip on that style of pot.

The JWP is not bad. I would love to have a JWP that nice on my bench to work with. I don't see any problems that could not be fixed.

Great way to remember mentors.
I bought a tree from one of my mentors. Another friend had to talk to me because 2 years later I was still calling Jack's tree. Even though I did change the front, removed one major branch, and changed it from a YiXing pot to a Japanese pot. I try to remember to refer to it as my tree in public. Though, no matter what it will always be Jack's tree to me.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dont know nothing about pots but it looks nice and great to have a tree from a friend/mentor as memory!
Tree looks healthy enough thats good
Id say a full wireing and styling will bring out its potential even more make the former owner proud!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some better photos of the pot would give us full view in order to appreciate it.
I don't know anything about pots quality but I can say it looks to be a nice pot, though.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Really nice pot. How about a side view shot of the pot to get a better sense of the color. The lip is nice. I like the wide lip on that style of pot.

The JWP is not bad. I would love to have a JWP that nice on my bench to work with. I don't see any problems that could not be fixed.

Great way to remember mentors.
I bought a tree from one of my mentors. Another friend had to talk to me because 2 years later I was still calling Jack's tree. Even though I did change the front, removed one major branch, and changed it from a YiXing pot to a Japanese pot. I try to remember to refer to it as my tree in public. Though, no matter what it will always be Jack's tree to me.
Here’s a shot that shows color better. The tree has sections that are very straight from most angles, but with the right front chosen and some well placed branches I should be able to hide the flaws and accentuate the movement that is there well. I never understand people’s need to claim sole credit for trees that have changed hands over time. I think the provenance adds interest and value to a tree’s story and sense of history, and keeps alive the vision and spirit of those who have cared for the trees before us.
81F81215-1E34-4524-BD6E-F8FFA99A47A5.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks, that is a very nice pot. I have a similar one, I need to look up chops. Mine the color shades from dark for the feet and rim, to a lighter color between the rim and feet. That was why I was curious. Thanks. I like the tree.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wedge cut! ?

Seconded! Maybe more than once in future;). Tree has good potential but suggest growing trunk bigger after wedge cut/bend(s). Envious of good friends gifts. Love low branch.

Top Bottom