A Video from the 2014 Carolina Bonsai Expo

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Pardon me for starting a new thread but...

Enjoy!!

[video=youtube_share;zqMtzxPVBTY]http://youtu.be/zqMtzxPVBTY[/video]

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for sharing John, your videos are always a treat! Congrats to the home town people's choice winner, Curt Howard's water elm. What a great tree! Dave Murphy's pine in the Bigei pot looks stellar as well as Ken Duncan's Crepe Myrtle among many, many others. Looks like it was a great event, sorry work prevented my attendance.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Curt's Water Elm was the People's Choice award winner!

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thank you

Johng, thank you for the great video and thanks to others posting photos. It appears to have been another great one! The Carolina Expo is one of my very favorite shows. We were in Highlands for the week and planned to come over on Sunday but the weather was bad and we decided against the drive on the "curvy" roads. First time I missed the show in the past 5 years.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks, John. That is a great video. What maple cultivar is that at 5:10? Also is that a seiryu at 6:05? Thanks.

Derek91

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks, John. That is a great video. What maple cultivar is that at 5:10? Also is that a seiryu at 6:05? Thanks.

The one was a seiryu but the group/clump I believe was only listed as a "full moon" maple.if it was a cultivar I would love to know which one as well.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks John. And thanks for the little gator. I watch many folks do a double take and then chuckle as they walked away.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man this was a great show. I loved the Susquehanna display, it was truly awesome. I love the fact that they did a western style display, dare I call it an American Bonsai display. It was beautiful, artistic and elegant. It reminded me of farm lands and trees nearby. I was impressed that the vast majority if not all the displays you filmed had little Japanese influence. Its truly refreshing to see a bonsai show that does not look like its members are a bunch of silly old farts pretending to be Japanese.

The seasonal display with the Halloween flavor was nice too and what a unique way of piquing the youths interest in Bonsai ! Shows what people can do when they start to innovate rather than stagnate through mimicry.

ed

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone know who owns the black pine shown at 7.25 ? I saw it while at the show and it was the best small pine I've ever seen in person. Just wondering if they are a member here and could provide details about the tree.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Man this was a great show. I loved the Susquehanna display, it was truly awesome. I love the fact that they did a western style display, dare I call it an American Bonsai display. It was beautiful, artistic and elegant. It reminded me of farm lands and trees nearby. I was impressed that the vast majority if not all the displays you filmed had little Japanese influence. Its truly refreshing to see a bonsai show that does not look like its members are a bunch of silly old farts pretending to be Japanese.

The seasonal display with the Halloween flavor was nice too and what a unique way of piquing the youths interest in Bonsai ! Shows what people can do when they start to innovate rather than stagnate through mimicry.

ed

I can kind of see both sides on the Halloween display... I liked the fact that it was kind of silly and fun, not taking themselves too serious... But at the same time they had a few really nice trees and the decorations and stuff somewhat detracted from the trees in my opinion... I could see people using those kinds of tricks if they felt their trees weren't good on their own, but those guys didn't need it IMO.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Yes that is a seiryu palmatum at the 6:05 mark owned by Tom Bjorholm (Bjorn's dad). Lovely tree which was also displayed at the 4th US National. I really need to add this variety to my collection!!

Thanks John great video! Not surprised to see that Brian Hollowell's tree got top honors... again! Outstanding!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nip,

I met the owner of the shohin JBP, but I don't remember his name. I can offer a little info: it was NOT decandled this year. It is extremely dense. The needles, however, are a little thin. Which means it's getting a little weak.

Once JBP get to this level of refinement, they get put into a cycle of cut back, let grow, decandle, and refine. You really can't keep them looking this good all the time. If you try, they will get weak and decline. So, you refine it for showing, then after the show season, thin it back and cut back, repot, and let it grow to regain vigor. Then restart the refinement process by decandling again. Generally speaking, these cycles last 3 or 4 years. Kind of like the Olympics, you try to "peak" at the proper time.

Which means to show shohin every year, you would want to have 2 or three JBP "box topper" trees that are rotated every year, having each tree in a different stage of the rejouvination cycle.

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Great video Johng! It was great to see you again this year and thanks for mentioning our start up club, the Tidewater Bonsai Club. :cool:

Bob O

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nip,

I met the owner of the shohin JBP, but I don't remember his name. I can offer a little info: it was NOT decandled this year. It is extremely dense. The needles, however, are a little thin. Which means it's getting a little weak.

Once JBP get to this level of refinement, they get put into a cycle of cut back, let grow, decandle, and refine. You really can't keep them looking this good all the time. If you try, they will get weak and decline. So, you refine it for showing, then after the show season, thin it back and cut back, repot, and let it grow to regain vigor. Then restart the refinement process by decandling again. Generally speaking, these cycles last 3 or 4 years. Kind of like the Olympics, you try to "peak" at the proper time.

Which means to show shohin every year, you would want to have 2 or three JBP "box topper" trees that are rotated every year, having each tree in a different stage of the rejouvination cycle.

Thanks for the insight Adair. Those needles were incredibly small and the branch structure was fantastic. Very impressive to a pine lover like myself.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nip,

I liked that tree very much, too. The best shohin in the show, in my opinion.

The judge didn't even make a remark about it when he was doing his critiques.

Another person selected the best shohin, and gave the prize to another tree in the same display. The way they were set up, the JBP was not shown to its best advantage. It was set back, so that other trees were placed in more prominent positions.

And, I didn't think the "display" really worked. It was like there were three individual shohin trees, sitting on logs. Each tree kinda stood on its own. Yes, they all stood on logs, but there wasn't the subtle suggestion of movement, season, color, etc. What went on in my mind was "Oh, look! They're all sitting on a log". The heavy logs distracted my eye from the trees.

But, that's what this show is all about. Somewhat experimental, find out what works and what doesn't.

Top Bottom