A Visit to Meehan's

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I get a call from a friend this morning. He says he needs a little road trip and do I want to go to Meehan's. We had only been there once before and it was about 10 years ago. I wasn't real sure what we would see, and I am trying desperately not to buy any more tropicals right now, but around noon we were there ooing and ahhing the plant selection. The gentleman Hugh who helped us was a joy to talk to and I did indeed get a few small tropicals, a couple larger bonsai pots and a couple dark red leaf seedling grown Japanese maples. The maples were a real surprise because although I have seen several hundred Japanese maples, I was struck by the deep red summer color of the 2 out of maybe a dozen that I picked. Maybe I should have got a couple more. Also praises for their great selection of pomegranates. They have several in 8 inch low pots that are fabulous. I had to have one. My biggest surprise was to find 2 pomegranates in 4 inch pots that had a pale pink double flower with peach overtones. I bought both of these and they were only $5 each. Enjoyable day and a beautiful drive with gold at the end of the rainbow.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will take pictures of the plants and post when I can. I have to help my 93 year old mother tomorrow and will be out of town Thursday. I have much packing to do but I will get to it. I am old school. I use a real camera and then load them into my computer and finally here. Knew you all would ask for pictures and nearly did not post because I don't have them yet. Still, thought you might want to know.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have not been there a while .....see any korean hornbeams there?
Was loads when I went.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not been there a while .....see any korean hornbeams there?
Was loads when I went.
I did see some but I was not focused on them because I already have a number of them. Unfortunately labeling at Meehan's is almost non-existent so you will need to look hard and ask.
I see you are in PA. About 10 years ago I visited a bonsai nursery somewhere in your neck of the woods. Any up there you would recommend?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My only photo from my only trip to meehans, is this cat killing a butterfly. @penumbra you have to check out nature’s way in pa it’s the real deal
It is certainly on my list of places to visit and I have heard much about it. Still, there was someplace I visited somewhat east of there about 10 years back but I cant remember where.
Thank God for cats. Otherwise we would be overrun by obnoxious butterflies.

Reactions: GGB

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did see some but I was not focused on them because I already have a number of them. Unfortunately labeling at Meehan's is almost non-existent so you will need to look hard and ask.
I see you are in PA. About 10 years ago I visited a bonsai nursery somewhere in your neck of the woods. Any up there you would recommend?
To be honest I do not know of many for retail sales.Although Doug Paul has the Kennett Collection here in Kennett Square ,though I never seen it.

I think you can only see the kennett collection if you contact brandywine bonsai society.

Also Longwood Gardens is a very nice place and some of Dougs trees are on loan in the Longwood display

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chase Rosade lives in New Hope, PA. I think he used to sell material. Not so much now, stil does classes though. Maybe that's who it was.
OK, done hijacking now..

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some of the pics I promised of some of what I brought home from Meehan's.
These red leaf Japanese maples are seedling grown. Fantastic color.
They had several of the pomegranates. These are 8 inch pots.
These poms were in 3 inch pots with lots of regular red orange ones. Color is a delicious coral pink. Only saw two this color in bloom but there were many poms not blooming yet so there is a chance they still have a couple. One went into a grow pot and goes into a greenhouse and the other will go in a small lower grow pot and start training as a mame in my house under lights. This is just about my favorite color in the world.
Maples were $25 each and they have a few more. Larger poms where $60 and they had several. Smaller poms were only $5 each.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I went to Meehan's after the Potomac show this year. I heard so much about them that I made the couple hour drive up to their place. Maybe it was the time of the year, but I wasn't impressed at all. They did have some good size junipers in what looked like 15gal trade pots, but nothing exciting. They do have a ton of tropicals and accent plants in the hoop houses though.

I saw those red maples you're talking about towards the back. They had quite a bit of tridents too. I was tempted in getting some, but held my composure.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gardens Unlimited in Ladysmith has some of the best trees in the Mid-Atlantic. They don't sell stock any more, though --too much of a hassle. They do work on advanced trees with owners. If you ever get a chance to get there, it's worth it.

bcbigun.jpgbobtoodskate.jpgbobtoddpine.jpgcorkbarkpine.jpgcamelia2.jpggardensunlimited2.jpg

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was actually on my way to a site visit yesterday when I drove by a really awesome place called Riverview outside Reading. And I found a place called Valley View farms in Hunt Valley MD. They have oodles of awesome pines, Japanese maplesjunipers, etc. Heck they had dozens and dozens of hinokis and azaleas for under $15. That was a cool find. Much of there stuff was a little more pricey but they had a lot of stuff. And that's the only place I found real pine bark, by accident after they said they didn't have any. Natures way is awesome too, but you better have $$$ shopping there. They have a bunch of Mauro's spruces.

kyle8734

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Meehans are great people. I had the opportunity to work for Martha and Hugh at the PBA Fest in DC back in May, was my first time seeing the trees at the Arboretum. I am lucky Meehans is only a 30min drive from where I live in WV. I had always been very interested in Bonsai since i was 13 or so (31 now) but had no idea how or where to start. Found their Nursery about 4years ago and it was off to the races ever since lol. I was actually just up there myself about a month ago visiting and couldn't resist buying one of the Dwarf Pomegranates myself lol

Attachments

• 1569016911188330862720.jpg
    1569016911188330862720.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 15690180709461037506854.jpg
    15690180709461037506854.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 15690181020111454923203.jpg
    15690181020111454923203.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 27

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been trying to get to this place out in Washington, Va. for years. Haven't made it yet, but always thought it looked promising.
Don't feel bad. Henry (the owner) is a friend of mine and I have never been there or seen Henry (Eastwood Maples) in a few years. I just jumped back into bonsai after a long break, and had intended to visit this year and just stayed occupied to the point that I put it off. I need to make more of an effort. He is about my age and will not be doing this forever. Give him a call or email as he is a great host and very interesting and knowledgeable man.
I am really feeling guilty now. I better give him a call soon.

Top Bottom