A Weak Itoigawa

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I went to a local bonsai nursery yesterday and found this juniper. I like the trunk a lot and it’s a decent size. The trunk at the base is about 1” and I think it can make a good shohin in 5 years.

It has a lot of juvenile growth which indicates the tree is pretty weak. My plan is to keep it under full-sun. Water and fertilize regularly through out the year. Hopefully next spring it will recover and show strength.

The question I have is should I wait until next year to wire it or can I do some work this summer? I’d like to bring the top down further to make it more compact.

Attachments

• F97EA7C8-BAAC-4658-AD69-06C02B7B3A8D.jpeg
    F97EA7C8-BAAC-4658-AD69-06C02B7B3A8D.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 86AB115F-9F2E-48A5-AE50-1866A70C7F3E.jpeg
    86AB115F-9F2E-48A5-AE50-1866A70C7F3E.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 74

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'd let it grow this summer unhindered with the plan of thinning and some structural wiring this fall. Fwiw, that plant doesn't look extremely weak... itoigawa throw juvenile foliage very easily and for multiple reasons. Just let it grow for now.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does not look weak to me. It could be they gave it a good trim last spring, causing the needle foliage.
If you let this grow for the year, perhaps consider potting it up in your substrate this spring so you know what the roots are like.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'd let it grow this summer unhindered with the plan of thinning and some structural wiring this fall. Fwiw, that plant doesn't look extremely weak... itoigawa throw juvenile foliage very easily and for multiple reasons. Just let it grow for now.
Yep. I am going to let it gain strength this year and repot next spring.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Does not look weak to me. It could be they gave it a good trim last spring, causing the needle foliage.
If you let this grow for the year, perhaps consider potting it up in your substrate this spring so you know what the roots are like.
Thanks. I checked the substrate before purchasing and it is planted in pumic and bark mix. Drains very well so I am not too worried about roots. If I water correctly, the root should develop nicely.

Bonsai Outeiro

Sapling
Reaction score
Starting to elongate, I see no problem. I would let it do its thing during this seasom and start to play after summer

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The question I have is should I wait until next year to wire it or can I do some work this summer? I’d like to bring the top down further to make it more compact.
FYI you should do wiring in the fall and early-mid winter. Never in the late spring and summer.
Wiring and bending branches at this time can cause the bark to slip on the branch and kill the branch

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
FYI you should do wiring in the fall and early-mid winter. Never in the late spring and summer.
Wiring and bending branches at this time can cause the bark to slip on the branch and kill the branch
Thank you! I thought mid to late summer was the time to do the work. I will wait a bit longer.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Starting to elongate, I see no problem. I would let it do its thing during this seasom and start to play after summer
Cool. I saw the juvenile growth and thought it was a sign of weakness. Glad it is healthy!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little more nuance.. DO not do big bends. But maintenance wiring is done throughout the year. For deciduous wiring is about to start again on the young growth.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A little more nuance.. DO not do big bends. But maintenance wiring is done throughout the year. For deciduous wiring is about to start again on the young growth.
I should have clarified that I meant only for junipers. I have had branches die that were wired/manipulated too late in the spring.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should have clarified that I meant only for junipers. I have had branches die that were wired/manipulated too late in the spring.
Also for juniper I would say, refrain from big bends and primary stylings. but maintenance wiring seems fine here!

Top Bottom