A Weird Taxus

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is one of my European yews. The first image is of 2011. It looks challenging, better than your yew, but certainly much more expensive even at this state. What can we learn from this? Look at the last image as of spring 2017. This is five and a half years later. With yews one can do it. Just let grow, let outgrow the intended shape and then when you think it is now really too outgrown cut back ruthlessly. It's called the hedging method. Some her frown upon it. Well, show me your results after five years. Any method can only be judged by proven results and not by what your guru thinks of it.

View attachment 192325View attachment 192326
Very nice yew Walter, thanks for sharing.
Interesting pot too.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wish I had access to some from the UK dug from chalk pits and old ones around churches that were used as bow material planted there to keep the enemy from stealing the war material.
Don't we all??
Probably need a flat bed to move one like that!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Whether its true or not, it's not any of your business how I do it. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. If putting you back on ignore solves the problem...consider it done.

Your not the first to say it, nor probably the last but since you said it, just how do you see more doing it making it stronger. I couldn't care less if anyone else on earth did bonsai but me. I don't see how more doing it makes it stronger? Makes what stronger?

More people are smoking pot now that ever before. Hows that working out? We have more guns now than ever before...hows that working out....

Be careful what you wish for. We might all be forced to enjoy Govt. supplied mallsai.

I'm sorry you're going to put me back on ignore. I really enjoy you calling out my experience and me posting back to slap you down. At this rate you'll have every member of the forum on ignore!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
o_O... Wow, so did not see that coming!!! :cool: Sweet direction you are taking. Bold moves sometimes are the best direction. Can't believe this is the same tree. You surely took this to the next level and have a direction you are moving towards. ;) Good job!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
o_O... Wow, so did not see that coming!!! :cool: Sweet direction you are taking. Bold moves sometimes are the best direction. Can't believe this is the same tree. You surely took this to the next level and have a direction you are moving towards. ;) Good job!
Thanks!
I've been prepping this tree with lots of water and fertilizer for over a year with no trimming.
It was time.
Al helped me realize.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Since May, it filled in nicely, and abandoned the apical branch...
Maybe a jinned top will be it for this one...
Gotta figure out how much dead wood to keep....
Gonna do dead wood work and first repotting in early spring.

More abuse:
KIMG1229.JPGKIMG1230.JPGKIMG1232.JPGKIMG1234.JPGKIMG1235.JPGKIMG1236.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow sounds odd that sucks dude
But yew will get some new ones I guess :p
Yeah, I will.

It is odd.
I did a little research on it....I recall nearly everything I read and saw showing the plant going yellow before brown.
I don't know what it was.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, I will.

It is odd.
I did a little research on it....I recall nearly everything I read and saw showing the plant going yellow before brown.
I don't know what it was.

Did you check the roots when they browned up?
Sounds like a root issue, some conifers go yellow from to much water?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Did you check the roots when they browned up?
Sounds like a root issue, some conifers go yellow from to much water?
I did.
Nothing visible....
They never went yellow, just green to brown.

I'm wondering if it was the Daconil....
That's one common denominator....I dunno though.

Top Bottom