A 'yatsubusa' elm trunk

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am sure some of you recognize this trunk.I couldn't let it pass by any longer.I probably will not see to many of these around,since I cannot make it to any meetings or join a club.It will be here next week.Something tells me it will give me a lot of joy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 340

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you got a great deal on this tree. I almost bought it myself. Good luck with it.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Picked it up at the post office.

Well,it was in shipment for 5 days.The mail truck left me a note to go pick it up there cause' it was too big.Very satisfied with the purchase.All visible surface roots are alive with no abrupt chops protruding.I am ready for spring.I will probably tease away the perlite to inspect what it looks like in the roots in repotting season.And replace with my usual colander mix.I don't really think I could fit this in a colander.I do love the aeration of the current Anderson flat,but it is kinda' flimsy if I need to move it.I will be interested in alternative air-pruning pots.Or somehow reinforce the Anderson flat.Ready for lots of growth.
The bottom of the trunk is just wet.There is no rot at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 251
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was looking at this one too! I might grab one from Brent before thy are gone. Has anyone seen any of these from Brent further along in development?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

md4958

Sapling
Reaction score
I do love the aeration of the current Anderson flat,but it is kinda' flimsy if I need to move it. Or somehow reinforce the Anderson flat.

Perhaps adding a second Anderson flat will help stabilize it a little? It might help prevent or reduce the sides from flexing while you move it.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Perhaps adding a second Anderson flat will help stabilize it a little? It might help prevent or reduce the sides from flexing while you move it.
Thanks for the idea.What I ended up doing was build a platform to carry it around on.I am thinking I May pot the plant in a cut down root pouch and continue to carry it on the platform.I like the idea of non-circling roots in the root pouch while I grow it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 200

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And that is still one of the best I've seen. I wonder if they have nice fall colors. :)

I have been drooling at Brent's elms...one of these days I may pull the trigger on one. That will have me doing the happy dance for weeks for sure. :D

Better colors may be possible with the corticosa variety.The Yatsubusa variety which I have is largely an uninteresting yellow in fall.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the idea.What I ended up doing was build a platform to carry it around on.I am thinking I May pot the plant in a cut down root pouch and continue to carry it on the platform.I like the idea of non-circling roots in the root pouch while I grow it.

Good job. What I did on mine (dish pans) is use soda bottle crates (ones w/o dividers). Works perfectly. I am always on the look out for those when I go to our City wide garage sale here. They usually sell for $0.50 a piece or a quarter. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gotta love the price on that Dario.

Yep, problem is, if you are late, they usually are snatched and gone. I even used is as a planter...just lined it with the perforated landscaping cloth and bet it works just like the root pouch...for cheap!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update on this elm.

Well,I am going to try and rescue this tree too.
Same story as the other one.Got overwhelmed and buried it in the yard a few years ago.
I sawed off the top 6" of leader.It was just a bit too tall.
The photo was way too blurry of the pruned roots just before I potted it in the box.
I left some branch stubs.They will probably lead into nice branches.
Big ole' hunk of yatsubusa here:eek:

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    583.5 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 186

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am thinking I will cut the stubs shorter and let them lead into forked branches to start some pads.
Might as well utilize these stubs instead of start from scratch.The stubs will look more to scale with the big trunk.
Thoughts?

Reaction score
Nice to see this one taking the next step. Is it in top health? I would expect bigger branches after 2 years in the ground? Will be a massive tree... It might be an option to let the branches on the lowest part of the trunk run for a while before shopping to create tapering branches and difference between them and the top branches.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice to see this one taking the next step. Is it in top health? I would expect bigger branches after 2 years in the ground? Will be a massive tree... It might be an option to let the branches on the lowest part of the trunk run for a while before shopping to create tapering branches and difference between them and the top branches.
Thanks Dirk.Yes seems healthy enough.It was quite neglected planted in yard dirt and not watered enough,but green foliage nonetheless.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpeg Found a good perspective.

The stubs needed shortened and I found an angle of the trunk I can work with.Cutting the stubs should force some back bud.
The tree is 12" from top of soil:eek:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I dub this tree "Mr. Hankey". Hideeeeee hoooo!

JK of course...

What a monster! Let that too grow out for a bit, and you should have a nice tree with good movement and it doesn't have that exaggerated inverse taper you see on so many corners. You got a good one, and I have looked at his large Elms a few times and considered pulling the trigger. Good to see what one looks like after a few years!

Top Bottom