A young JBP

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up this JBP back in winter, and did a partial slip pot into a pond basket. I like the fact that there are many buds sprouting near the base. I had someone tell me that these pines can shed their lower branches over time. How do I hold onto these lower branches? The vision I have for is holding onto the base growth, and using the top most shoot, and the whirls as a sacrifice. Obviously decandling at this point is not in the question. I'm trying to keep it well fertilized. It's in a mixture of coconut coir, and Boon's mix. Is there anything else I should be doing besides being patient?

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 70

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I picked up this JBP back in winter, and did a partial slip pot into a pond basket. I like the fact that there are many buds sprouting near the base. I had someone tell me that these pines can shed their lower branches over time. How do I hold onto these lower branches? The vision I have for is holding onto the base growth, and using the top most shoot, and the whirls as a sacrifice. Obviously decandling at this point is not in the question. I'm trying to keep it well fertilized. It's in a mixture of coconut coir, and Boon's mix. Is there anything else I should be doing besides being patient?

Pines will shed lower branches for two reasons: One: The upper growth shades out the lower branches. The lower branches decline because they are starved of light which is necessary to survival. Two: The upper portion of the tree becomes more and more vigorous demanding more of the tree's resources to continue growing and the lower branches decline. It can be controlled by controlling the growth of the stronger branches and disallowing the conditions that destroy the lower branches.

The entire pursuit is one of encouraging the wanted growth and discouraging the unwanted growth. The only way your fears are realized are if you think your tree will become a bonsai by itself.

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I happened to see Owen Reich at Meehans,the day I was buying my pine starters,and he said that in Japan they just tie these colanders with the long leaders next to fence posts.I am going to do that with mine and then just over-winter in the ground wrapped in fabric.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
if it were my pine I would definitely remove some branches. you are going to get an ugly knuckle in those areas. I suggest you wait till the end of the summer and then pop off some branches. that collapse of auxin should pop some low buds and you can keep growing the leader.

Top Bottom