Abeliophyllum “white forsythia” can this be a bonsai somehow? It throws out long limbs in spring, which put out small twigs late summer. Blooms there

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Regular Forsythia isn't totally unknown in the bonsai world, cant imagine why this would be an exception. If it grows quite leggy it may just come down to pruning technique and timing to create superior ramification.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Seems not worth the trouble. The attractive aspect of Forsythia is the flowers, which only last about 2 weeks in early spring.

After that it's a voracious grower whose leggy growth needs to be cut back repeatedly.

In those respects, it's not unlike a wisteria.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Linda - I used to grow like this just putting things in the right width pot with as little soil as would do until I got back to it. Sometime last year I read a member say that it was important to keep soil close to the rim, something about trunk or roots catching air flow. I repotted everything sitting way down in a bucket to a shorter cut pot. Didn't think it was that important, but it did make a big difference, like they were in a dormancy of some sort. A couple of them made it out of the 'just grow something' area :)

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Linda - I used to grow like this just putting things in the right width pot with as little soil as would do until I got back to it. Sometime last year I read a member say that it was important to keep soil close to the rim, something about trunk or roots catching air flow. I repotted everything sitting way down in a bucket to a shorter cut pot. Didn't think it was that important, but it did make a big difference, like they were in a dormancy of some sort. A couple of them made it out of the 'just grow something' area :)
Great! I’ve been wondering about that

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can't imagine the white variety any different than the yellow.

Prune...don't be afraid to prune. I pinch back regularly as well. Some branches can be hollow once they develop more. Fill opening tip with cut paste. The late Dale Cochoy gave me that tip. Or moisture will set in and rot the branch.

They develop rather quickly. Time frame here...2019 sale image... 2022 dormant image. One blooming for attention. I believe was 2020. Blooming period for 2021 and 2022...life got in the way none were taken.
Screenshot_20230308_105613_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20230308_105626_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20230308_105637_Facebook.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seems not worth the trouble. The attractive aspect of Forsythia is the flowers, which only last about 2 weeks in early spring.

After that it's a voracious grower whose leggy growth needs to be cut back repeatedly.

In those respects, it's not unlike a wisteria.
I disagree...lovely fall show as well.
Screenshot_20230308_110530_Facebook.jpg

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Prune...don't be afraid to prune. I pinch back regularly as well. Some branches can be hollow once they develop more. Fill opening tip with cut paste. The late Dale Cochoy gave me that tip. Or moisture will set in and rot the branch.

They develop rather quickly. Time frame here...2019 sale image... 2022 dormant image. One blooming for attention. I believe was 2020. Blooming period for 2021 and 2022...life got in the way none were taken.
View attachment 475866View attachment 475867View attachment 475868
Wow!

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

View attachment 475866View attachment 475867View attachment 475868
I’m going to transplant it then in a tall pot in bonsai soil, and do a little pruning on the ends of the long whips, then see what it does. I guess this would be the time to transplant. I’ll remove the blossoms first.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m going to transplant it then in a tall pot in bonsai soil, and do a little pruning on the ends of the long whips, then see what it does. I guess this would be the time to transplant. I’ll remove the blossoms first.
Yes...I work mine after bloom if I were to repot. Less risk of knocking off flower buds.

I don't do really tall pots. They are unstable and tip over. It came in a tall pot and I changed it out when the window of opportunity allowed.

I don't know if I would rush to repot. I only did mine as the neagari was a mess and needed addressed. I tend to never rush repots... even when stressed by ones I respect. I tend to follow this guidance. The material was landscape and in very organic medium. Maybe cut the pot down to where the nebari is found. Of course...many would disagree. 😉 but totally up to you. It is a forsythia...mine never skipped a beat. That said...it came in bondai medium. Screenshot_20230204_150955_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Top Bottom