abies lasiocarpa compacta

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dont know if its good for bonsai and it might be grafted but ill try to work with it anyway i have no experience with spruce at all so any advice is apriciated

Is spruce repottable in summer like mugo? Its in a burlap

20170610_155617.jpg 20170610_155646.jpg 20170610_155650.jpg 20170610_165646.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a Fir that you've got there not a spruce. Subalpine Fir is the most frequently used common name around here. I only have one, collected last spring so no repotting experience aside from the initial collection prior to bud break. My guess is that late summer after growth has fully hardened would be fine. Good luck with it.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have one, nursery stock I bought three years ago. It is on its own roots, not grafted. The first thing I did (in early August) was bare root it and pot it in my chosen substrate.

It back buds on old wood, even low on the trunk and I am continuing with trying to drive the foliage down from about 4 feet above the ground to something like 10 to 16 inches. It is getting there, but it is proving to be slower going than I hoped it would be. Nevertheless, it is A+ for back budding.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that a graft?

I'm no expert....

But I know what an ungrafted tree looks like!

How bout a layer?
No?

How bout the yard!

:eek:

Brother...you've found some nice stuff...you done set a higher bar for yourself already.
We gotta get this....(overlooking that poo stain), out of your bag of anti-tricks.

Is that a nice way to say That?;)

Can it be fixed artistically?

https://www.ikerbonsaipots.com/bonsai-pot-steam-punk-7-dia-17304/

Sorce

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lol thnx
But weather its grafted or not i will try and make the best of it
Yesterday i took of plastic container and saw that the roots where in a burlap ball
I decided to cut off the burlap and came to the conclusion the roots wernt that happy way to wet

Without rootpruning i potted it up in a well draining mix and left the core close to the base intact so basicly i did half bare rooting without pruning

Wired a couple branches and cut a few

This is the result ill let it recover for now

20170611_122441.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Still ugly graft but fun practice tree
Probably gonna lose the lowest branch
Screenshot_20180822-143028.jpgScreenshot_20180822-143046.jpg

Top Bottom