About site hacks and Internet security

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Maybe too much information for some of you, but in case you are curious about site hacks read on.

On the post dealing with BonsaiTalk's demise, I mentioned the fact that BonsaiNut had been hacked (via a vBulletin security hole) and that a backdoor had allowed a fake admin account to import malware into the site, which in turn started to chip away at the site from the inside.

One of the challenges with these hacks is that it is not always immediately apparent that the site has been hacked. The malware does what it does, and it slowly infects the site and chips away at the integrity of the site as well as security protocols. In the case of Bonsai Nut, we had several malware executables inserted into the site software (I think 10 major ones), all of which did slightly different things. Some created fake user accounts, for example. One bad one was a brute force password hacker.

One of the first signs that the site had been hacked was the fact that site response slowed way down. I checked the server status (good), and found that the site was suddenly making a TON of server calls - much higher than usual. It turns out the one of the malware programs was a password hacker that was (through trial and error) attempting to hack all the user names and passwords on the site. It was only an alpha-numeric hacker (A-Z and 0-9) so if you had a special character in your password you would have been completely safe. But with time (particularly if users used short passwords) it would have hacked all the user accounts and passwords on the site.

With time. One single alpha-numeric character has 36 possible combinations (a-z, 0-9). A two-digit password has 1.296 possible combinations (36 ^2). An 8 digit password has 2,821,110,000,000 possible combinations. If you have a long password, it takes a LONG time to hack. If the password recognizes upper and lower case letters, it is almost exponentially more difficult to hack - and adding special characters brings the total number of possible combinations to 93 per character. So the brute force password hacker was pinging the server with bad password after bad password, to see if any would stick. Normally, if through the site software, someones attempts to log into the site with a bad password, we do a couple of things - first we slow the server calls down so you can't check password verification except every few seconds, and second, if you get several fails, you are timed out of the system (if not locked out entirely). But these were direct server calls from inside the site code and inside of the security wall. It was bringing the server to its knees.

Now why do I share all of this with you? I don't think a single password was hacked, because I caught the exploit pretty quickly. HOWEVER... why would anyone care that they had a hacked user name and a matching password for a bonsai forum site? They wouldn't. There is no money there. However... if you use the SAME user name and SAME password on other sites, you are opening yourself up for abuse. I don't doubt that the first time this malware reported back a positive user name and password, there is a good chance that another program would ping PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, Wells Fargo, etc, with the same user name and password, and see if any would be accepted. Please NEVER use the same user name and password on several sites - especially if they are tied to monetary accounts. Understand that not even I know what password you use for BonsaiNut. The best I can do is reset it if you forget it, or create a temporary one that you can change the moment you have site access. This is one small example of why Internet security is really important - a bonsai site hack could open the door into a bank account if you don't use reasonable security best practices. Use long passwords. Use unique passwords (and user names) for each account. Change your passwords regularly. And consider two-step verification (via cell phone or security fob) for anything important.

Last edited:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the look behind the curtain, if you will.

I use a program called KeePass. The program encrypts all your user names and passwords in one place.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For what it's worth, this site COULD support two-step verification (where you log in as normal with a user name and password, and then the site sends a code to your cell phone). Two-step verification is extremely difficult to circumvent. I have never enabled it because we don't do anything here requiring money or credit cards.

Reaction score
Just great... Wiki leaks might of had more useless info to hype up ... then let everyone down with.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Last comment about changing your passwords. Think for a moment about how many sites you used to go to that you no longer go to. Think about sites that are out of business - but still have a user name and password somewhere on file. Even BonsaiTalk. Don't use the same password as you used on BT if you had an account there. Who knows where that database resides, or who has access to it. Take a scorched earth policy to your passwords and change them regularly. I even change emails - I have numerous emails that I use strictly for one-off purposes, and I delete them every year and replace them with something new. Each time you break the chain of continuity in your Internet footprint, it becomes harder and harder for nefarious organizations to compromise big parts of your history. It is one reason why I think Facebook is the biggest security hole on the Internet... all your history there for the taking. And the worst part - you are the one putting it there.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is one reason why I think Facebook is the biggest security hole on the Internet... all your history there for the taking.

Don't forget google. If you really want to be paranoid look up your google profile sometime. They keep a list of all the searches you have done while logged into your google account. There’s more, if you have a smart phone they also keep track of your location via google maps. You can view the info they have on you and opt out but I wonder they really stop. I also wonder what they are collecting that you can't view.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't forget google. If you really want to be paranoid look up your google profile sometime. They keep a list of all the searches you have done while logged into your google account. There’s more, if you have a smart phone they also keep track of your location via google maps. You can view the info they have on you and opt out but I wonder they really stop. I also wonder what they are collecting that you can't view.

Google is particularly nasty because they keep trying to block you from using multiple accounts / multiple "personalities". I have a Google account for this site (for AdSense) and they continue to try to get me to import all kinds of personal information into the account (which I refuse to do). If you change your name / contact info / whatever, on one account, they immediately copy it to ALL accounts.

Don't ever fall into the trap of having one account for everything - whether it is Facebook, Google, Apple, or Windows10. Use different names. Use different emails. Etc... I don't even think of myself as particularly paranoid, but everywhere you go on the Internet you leave a trail of crumbs. Don't have all of those crumbs lead back to one spot. One person. One address. You want lots of crumbs leading lots of places to lots of names and lots of addresses. Use fake addresses when you know an address isn't required. Use fake phone numbers when you know a phone number isn't required. 99% of uses of personal information on the Internet are probably legitimate, but the other 1% can cause you a WORLD of hurt.

I laughed when I read about the Yahoo! hack. All these people are worried that their personal information was compromised. What personal information? You shared personal information with Yahoo of all places? I have a Yahoo account. It doesn't know my name or my email or my phone number :) The email I used to create it is gone... POOF.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Bonsai Nut : Here is a redirect I just got, from the new posts page, trying to open Judy's fall sale thread:
IMG_7356.PNG

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm having a conference call with this advertising partner today at 1:00. I have already forwarded the ad example.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@markyscott guess you didn't claim your prize? I got another chance to claim it this morning!
View attachment 120916

They must have a big pile of those gift cards. I won another one today too!

I'm keeping a tally. My plan is to redeem them all at once and turn them into bonsai gold! Kirby said his twin trunk white pine was worth a tesla – so 98 more to go and that baby is mine.

S

Top Bottom