About to dive in...Am I on the right track?

cedarcanvas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Nuts,

I’m pretty keen on getting into bonsai. I’ve kept houseplants for years and had veggie gardens in the past, but trees are rand new to me. I’ve spent the last three or four weeks doing tons of research on Bonsai Nut, Bonsai Empire, Mirai, other blogs, the Bjorn Bjorholm podcast, library books, YouTube, Reddit, etc.and I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on my first tree. The following is a summary of where I’m thinking of heading...am I on the right track?

First off,my initial ideal of having a coffee table-top conversation piece that I can immediately tinker with has been long since crushed...mildly disappointing, but I’ve quickly learned that’s not really what this is about.

Immediate Plans:
I’m smitten by junipers, so that’s what I’m gonna get. I’m think I’ll be working towards something on the shohin side size-wise. After some phone calls, I found a nursery that’s both open to the public (easier said than done given current isolation restrictions) and has a broad and diverse stock of reasonably priced junipers of differing species and cultivars. Depending on what I see when I get there, I intend on picking up one or two trees. I like the aesthetic of slant and windswept forms so I’ll be keeping this in mind while shopping (also keeping in mind I’ll be lucky to make it to the styling stage). Informal upright may be a little more beginner-friendly, so I’ll be keeping that option in mind too.

My (pre-)bonsai will be living outdoors on my sun-drenched, south-facing condo balcony for now, with a move to a house with a property in the not-too-distant future.

From there, my initial focus will be on letting the tree(s) adjust to a new environment, learning specific lighting and watering needs (by monitoring and watering as needed to keep soil moist, rather than on a fixed schedule) and admiring form, foliage and characteristics. This way, I can learn about the species and individual tree(s)’s needs and start considering design ideas.

Depending on what I get, I may consider repotting as it sounds like it’s still early enough in the spring here to get that done. Perhaps into a larger terracotta pot that’s nicer to look at, heartier than a plastic nursery pot and still allows for growth. If this is the case, I’ll need to do a shit-ton of reading of reading on soil for moisture, drainage and nutrient requirement info.

Near-term Plans:
Continue research.

Monitor through the spring and summer, learning what processes happen during growing season.

As my tree(s) adjust(s) I need to research fertilization. This is a topic I’m yet to really dive into, but my understanding is that growing season is when I should be feeding?

I’d like to pick up a couple of tools. PATIENCE will be my mantra,with only very minimal pinching/pruning. The major styling will have to wait until at least the fall depending on repotting, tree health and what I wind up with. That said, despite he fact that tools could wait, I think picking up a couple of pieces could help scratch some of the itch. Lots of debate out there on what beginners should be getting but I was honking a decent set of shears and a concave branch cutters are a good start. Recommendations here would be much appreciated. Root tools, more varied shears, wire and cutters, etc. can come later?

Long-term Plans:
Continue to learn.

I’ve considered joining a club (not an option right now given what’s going on in the world). I’m lukewarm on the idea, but I’ll continue to consider it.

Transform tree(s) into a bonsai if I can get one to live long enough...styling, repotting, nebari, shari, jin, etc.

Try not to spend my mortgage payments on trees, pots and tools.

That’s what I’ve come up with so far. So...what am I missing? I imagine I’ll harm some trees on my journey but I hope to learn from my and your mistakes and enjoy myself along the way.

Thanks for all the knowledge here and any insight you’re willing to share!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome. good plan. It seems you did quite a bit research. Will you be in a house by winter? If not what are you plans for wintering the tree. Is this local nursery a bonsai nursery or just a regular garden center? I am fairly new (3 years in) as well so others will come along with more advice. When you look at trees look for a good base and trunk. Let the tree dictate the style.

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Try not to spend my mortgage payments on trees, pots and tools.

Yeaaah, good luck on that one!

Sounds like you not only have done a fair amount of reading up on the subject but know where you want to head with it... this is good!

I know the go out and meet a club thing is kind of on the back burner for most of us at the moment but you should still try to get in touch with local clubs. They may have additional resources available to you. Last I checked Toronto has a VERY good bonsai club, here's their link :) http://torontobonsai.org/

you mentioned "PATIENCE", another good thing to have in this hobby...and if you don't you might want to get several trees to make up for it. Otherwise your going to over work and detail your single tree to death.

Tools: a good pair of basic scissors will get you rather far. More technical tools will be needed at some point, kinda all depends on the level of refinement your trees are in.
Here's a link to "decent" and "affordable" bonsai tools, unsure if they ship to Canada but atleast you have a fair idea of what price range you should be looking at.
http://www.tianbonsai.com/ Check out their standard grade.

cedarcanvas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will you be in a house by winter? If not what are you plans for wintering the tree.

Thanks, @coltranem . I was hoping to be out of this condo like yesterday, but currentworld circumstances have thrown a wrench...hopefully out by winter...but either way will have to come up with some kind of protection for the tree as it is likely to dip well below the -10C (15F) mark...perhaps a burlap structure? I’ll put it on my reading list...perhaps to be saved for sometime closer to when the cold weather comes...for now I’m just glad the sunshine’s back!

Is this local nursery a bonsai nursery or just a regular garden center? When you look at trees look for a good base and trunk. Let the tree dictate the style.

Regular, very well renowned nursery. Unfortunately the local bonsai haunt is currently closed to the public. I’m hoping what I miss out on bonsai-specific advice, I can make up for in lower prices...

I’ll be looking for a chonky trunk!

I know the go out and meet a club thing is kind of on the back burner for most of us at the moment but you should still try to get in touch with local clubs. They may have additional resources available to you. Last I checked Toronto has a VERY good bonsai club, here's their link :) http://torontobonsai.org/

Thanks @Tiki . I’ve heard great things about the Toronto club. I’ll certainly consider it in the future.

you mentioned "PATIENCE", another good thing to have in this hobby...and if you don't you might want to get several trees to make up for it. Otherwise your going to over work and detail your single tree to death.

I’ll need an elastic around my wrist to snap or a water gun or some other negative reinforcement to stay hands off! PPPAAAAAAAATTTIIIIIEEEENNNNNCCCCEEEE. Also, that’s why I might get a couple of trees to start.

Tools: a good pair of basic scissors will get you rather far. More technical tools will be needed at some point, kinda all depends on the level of refinement your trees are in.
Here's a link to "decent" and "affordable" bonsai tools, unsure if they ship to Canada but atleast you have a fair idea of what price range you should be looking at.
http://www.tianbonsai.com/ Check out their standard grade.
I’ll check ‘em out.

Welcome to the Nut House, you Nut!

Thanks, @just.wing.it , happy to be aboard!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
lucky you! I wish shohin interested me, it's much easier to find shohin candidates among nursery material and they're easier on the wallet by all aspects. Plus they are fast to achieve if you start from scratch. They do require different methods...I've heard.. ? But juniper make great shohin because they foliage is so fine. Plus they are pretty forgiving and usually very cold tolerant. My juniper was left outside on the ground for a few 0 degree nights with no problems. there's 100 million things to learn but you can't learn them until you start. Sounds like you have set yourself up better than most folks who jump in, so jump in

cedarcanvas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well...I went to the nursery today and pulled the trigger. Two modestly-priced new friends:

Juniperus chinensis var. sargentii virdis
F4364858-F842-4858-816D-2BD104512091.jpeg207879CF-5C10-49C2-8212-43D1F47F99A3.jpeg0F81485C-58BF-407F-82D2-E171AA78DE21.jpegEDCFBA79-65DB-44EA-BDFF-ED1015432BB1.jpeg

I thought this healthy-looking fella had some really good movement and some juuuuuuuiiicccy looking buds. Very thick, lots of style options! It’s in a 3-gallon pot and will likely stay there for the foreseeable future. Chonky-looking trunk too. I dug down into the pot a little. The roots start fairly close to the surface. Not a ton of flair, but some thicker growth near the top of the base,

And

Juniperus sabina var. moor-dense
81AA4728-B1A4-4A1A-B127-25D332CCE319.jpeg259D1ED4-56CA-485C-B29C-8152A7D51BF2.jpegF1467845-8DC9-4ECF-BE38-0FC503ADBB01.jpegECB259A5-E30E-4CF6-B987-A6F974C395EB.jpeg

This guy’s a little smaller, only in a 2-gallon pot. I liked the colour. The needles are prickly AF. I’ve already spilled blood for this one. It seemed like a good deal, too. Couldn’t dig deep enough with my fingers to detect flare. I’m a little concerned about some of the whorls causing some reverse taper, but it’s super full too so lots of options/decisions/mistakes to make!

I may have to abandon the windswept/slant hopes. After seeing dozens of junipers today, none really appeared to lend itself well to this form...at least with my untrained eye. They’re bigger than anticipated, too, so shohin?...dunno...

Easier to shrink than rebigulate was my logic...

Any speculation into age would be appreciated.

When I’m done ogling them like a fifteen-year-old boy does a Farrah Fawcet poster, they’ll move out onto the balcony and get a good drenching. They’re still nice and damp from the nursery.

Then, to learn about soil (worried they’ll retain too much water with their current organic soil)...

Also, I’m holding back on pruning (I purposely didn’t even buy pruning scissors today), but, once I get some shears, would it be completely offside to “clean” out some of the janky dead stuff coming off the trunk? Nothing severe, I swear.

Soooooooooooper excited!

Where does one start a tree-specific thread on here...I’d like to do one for each? Would the general discussion section be appropriate? In the juniper section?

Okay, your turn...what’ve I gotten myself into...

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Well...I went to the nursery today and pulled the trigger. Two modestly-priced new friends:

View attachment 299391View attachment 299392View attachment 299393View attachment 299394

I thought this healthy-looking fella had some really good movement and some juuuuuuuiiicccy looking buds. Very thick, lots of style options! It’s in a 3-gallon pot and will likely stay there for the foreseeable future. Chonky-looking trunk too. I dug down into the pot a little. The roots start fairly close to the surface. Not a ton of flair, but some thicker growth near the top of the base,

And

View attachment 299397View attachment 299396View attachment 299398View attachment 299399

This guy’s a little smaller, only in a 2-gallon pot. I liked the colour. The needles are prickly AF. I’ve already spilled blood for this one. It seemed like a good deal, too. Couldn’t dig deep enough with my fingers to detect flare. I’m a little concerned about some of the whorls causing some reverse taper, but it’s super full too so lots of options/decisions/mistakes to make!

I may have to abandon the windswept/slant hopes. After seeing dozens of junipers today, none really appeared to lend itself well to this form...at least with my untrained eye. They’re bigger than anticipated, too, so shohin?...dunno...

When I’m done ogling them like a fifteen-year-old boy does a Farrah Fawcet poster, they’ll move out onto the balcony and get a good drenching. They’re still nice and damp from the nursery.

Then, to learn about soil (worried they’ll retain too much water with their current organic soil)...

Also, I’m holding back on pruning (I purposely didn’t even buy pruning scissors today), but, once I get some shears, would it be completely offside to “clean” out some of the janky dead stuff coming off the trunk? Nothing severe, I swear.

Soooooooooooper excited!

Where does one start a tree-specific thread on here...I’d like to do one for each? Would the general discussion section be appropriate? In the juniper section?

The best thing you can do with these right now is dig the soil to find the nebari, and cut the nursery pot ~1/4" above that new soil level. No need to even pull out of the pot at this point.

Having started about two dozen nursery junipers in my first 8 months of bonsai this root dig / pot cut has become a nice first step to take a good look and see what you have.

Having a tonne of material look through can be intimidating. One mistake I made was removing a lot at a time, and regretting removing certain potential branches after getting a better look at the juniper. Something that has helped me with this is to do some loose wiring of the longer whorls even just to prop them up and get a better look, see potential shapes.

I would think that in TO you should be ok to start doing some LIGHT cleaning now, to get sunlight down to the desirable lower branches.

Nursery junipers are a lot of fun and great practice. If you proceed like I did, you'll learn how to kill them very quickly as well ;)

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a

View attachment 299391View attachment 299392View attachment 299393View attachment 299394

And

View attachment 299397View attachment 299396View attachment 299398View attachment 299399

Soooooooooooper excited!

Also I wouldn't be too concerned about reverse taper scenarios just yet, not-so what might already be there. When it is the right season to start removing more branches etc you can deal with those then, nothing crazy will develop in less than a year. For any reverse taper that exists, think about how you can manage it. On a lot of mine I have opted for jin/shari, often pulling a branch down and completely off to remove a good chunk of the reverse taper. These kind of decision could ultimately affect you end design.

cedarcanvas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best thing you can do with these right now is dig the soil to find the nebari, and cut the nursery pot ~1/4" above that new soil level. No need to even pull out of the pot at this point.

[...]Something that has helped me with this is to do some loose wiring of the longer whorls even just to prop them up and get a better look, see potential shapes.

[...]If you proceed like I did, you'll learn how to kill them very quickly as well ;)

This is helpful advice, thanks. I watched a Mirai beginner video where they did this for a potted Xmas tree and it really seemed to help reveal some characteristics, thanks!

Also I wouldn't be too concerned about reverse taper scenarios just yet, not-so what might already be there. When it is the right season to start removing more branches etc you can deal with those then, nothing crazy will develop in less than a year. For any reverse taper that exists, think about how you can manage it. On a lot of mine I have opted for jin/shari, often pulling a branch down and completely off to remove a good chunk of the reverse taper. These kind of decision could ultimately affect you end design.

Thanks for the perspective, @HENDO.

Top Bottom